PORT TOWNSEND — A Port Townsend man was injured after a propane gas explosion erupted while he was inside his RV.
East Jefferson Fire-Rescue (EJFR) firefighters responded to a report of a loud explosion at the 1500 block of 27th Street at 3:13 p.m. Thursday.
The firefighters arrived to find an RV that was smoking and badly damaged. They extinguished the flames quickly according to Patricia Willestoft, EJFR public information officer.
The man who owned the RV had turned on his 20-pound propane tank and a small heater in his kitchen, firefighters said. He lit a cigarette, causing the explosion which blew off the back of the RV and caused burns to his hands, firefighters said.
He was taken to Jefferson Healthcare hospital by the owner of the property where the vehicle was parked, according to EJFR.
“Incidents like this one highlight the importance of always being aware of potential fire hazards in order to avoid them,” Willestoft said.
“In addition to stoves, heaters, refrigerators, freezers and other propane-powered appliances should be regularly checked for leaks.
“Avoid using matches or smoking near them when their valve is open and propane is flowing or if you smell propane.”