PORT ANGELES – The president of the port’s board of commissioners, Bill Hannan, is quitting the November race for re-election to his seat.
“Changes in my personal and family health have made me realize that conducting the aggressive campaign necessary to win my re-election and spread the good news about the port is not in my family’s best interest,” Hannan said in an e-mail sent Friday to the Port of Port Angeles office and to local media outlets.
Hannah declined to expand on his e-mail statement.
“My statement pretty much stands on its own,” he said on Saturday.
It was a difficult decision, he added.
“I happen to feel a lot for the port. I’m proud of my service.”
His wife, Marny Hannan, executive director of the Sequim-Dungeness Chamber of Commerce, announced earlier this year that she would retire when a replacement had been found.
Hannan’s withdrawal from the port race would leave challenger Jim McEntire’s name the only one printed on the November ballot for the District 1 position, which is for a six-year term.
“I respect his decision,” McEntire said on Friday.
“I’m intending to keep campaigning simply to let the voters know who I am and what my plans are,” he added.
“I want to act like a candidate, not like a port commissioner, because the election hasn’t happened yet.
As of 4:30 p.m. Friday, Hannan had not filed a letter of withdrawal with the Clallam County Auditor’s Office, said Auditor Patty Rosand.
Once a withdrawal letter has been received, the office notifies the state Public Disclosure Commission and removes the name from the ballot.
Names can be removed from ballots any time before they are printed.
For November elections, candidates have until late September to formally withdraw, Rosand said.
No new candidates can file for inclusion on the ballot, she said.
A person could announce as a write-in candidate, but the name would not appear on the ballot.
McEntire, who is retired from the Coast Guard and from federal civil service, said he has three reasons for seeking a port seat.
“I think the port can do a lot better job with its assets to create conditions for economic growth,” he said.
Also, the $7.5 million in state money “from the graving dock settlement presents a strategic opportunity to retire some debt and lower the need to tax revenues to service the debt,” he said.
And, “the port can do a lot to partner with schools and the private sector to develop skills and talents within the younger workforce.”
Hannan said in his e-mail – dated Thursday but sent on Friday – that he made his decision “with regret.”
“My last five and one half years helping to guide the port have been rewarding and fulfilling.” he said.
“I believe I am leaving the port a better organization for my contributions. While improvements are always possible for any organization, I believe that the port is on a solid financial footing with a clear direction for its strategic issues.
“I want to thank those who have supported me during my term and aborted campaign. I am sorry I cannot deliver at this final hour.”