Local events today in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
* Olympic National Park will be open, and the park’s Visitor Center will show a 25-minute film “A New Time, A New Voice,” which details the life of King, slain civil rights leader and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
The film will be shown on request from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Visitor Center, 3002 Mount Angeles Road, Port Angeles.
* At 11 a.m., a young Sequim resident, Timiried Fortman, will raise the flag at Marlyn Wayne Nelson Park at Port Williams, east of Sequim.
* The Peninsula Peace Movement will conduct a rally and march that begins at noon in Veteran’s Park, on Lincoln Street in Port Angeles next to the Clallam County courthouse.
Participants will march downtown at 1 p.m.
* From noon to 4 p.m., multicultural dance performances, arts, crafts, quilt and mural projects, storytelling and snacks highlight a family celebration of diversity at Vern Burton Community Center, 308 E. Fourth St., Port Angeles.
Admission is free.
Children younger than 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
The event is sponsored by Northwest Services Council, Clallam County AmeriCorps, and Port Angeles Parks and Recreation.
* All federal, state and county offices in Port Angeles, Forks and Port Townsend will be closed.
* Port Townsend and Forks city offices will also be closed.
* Sequim and Port Angeles city offices will be operational, but closed to the public.
* Public utility district offices will be open in Port Angeles and Forks, but closed in Port Hadlock.
* All public schools will be closed.
* The post office will be closed, and there will be no mail delivery.
* There will be no Clallam Transit bus service Monday. Jefferson Transit will run its regular service.
* The Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center and William Shore Memorial Pool in Port Angeles will be open for the day, and William Shore will add an extra open swim from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. But there will be no swimming classes.
* The M/V Coho auto-passenger ferry will resume its Port Angeles to Victoria runs today, leaving Port Angeles at 8:20 a.m. and returning from Victoria at 4 p.m.* Ferry service between Port Townsend and Keystone, Bremerton and Seattle and between Bainbridge and Seattle will be on a regular schedule.