PORT ANGELES — Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue firefighters rescued the occupant of a burning house who was unable to get out on his own.
They were dispatched to a residential structure fire at 161 Uphill Drive at 3:08 p.m. Tuesday through a fire alarm and the calls from neighbors.
The first on the scene found smoke pouring from several open doorways.
A neighbor had told dispatchers that a man was still inside the house and directed them to the area that he was located — the kitchen, where the fire had started and where it was continuing to spread, said Fire Chief Jake Patterson in a press release.
The occupant was not able to follow verbal directions by both neighbors and firefighters to leave the house, the chief said.
The on-scene incident commander directed the first arriving fire engine with a crew of two to make entry for rescue of the occupant and fire suppression through the front door of the residence to knock down and extinguish the fire within the structure, Patterson said. The second engine arrived shortly after with a crew of three and provided backup.
The occupant, who owns the home, was evaluated and transported to Olympic Medical Center for further evaluation and treatment by Olympic Ambulance.
His name was not disclosed because of federal privacy law affecting fire departments, so it is not possible to get a statement on his condition from the hospital.
Preliminary investigation found that the fire began on the stove top. All of the burners were turned on and a large amount of combustible material was stacked on top, which started the fire, Patterson said.
The fire spread but the occupant was not able to leave the house on his own, the chief said.
“Based on the fire growth and initial conditions found by firefighters, it is likely had the fire continued to burn it would have spread to the kitchen cabinets and structure within an additional five minutes and potentially caused significant harm to the occupant,” Patterson said.
“The fire crews were able to quickly remove the occupant and knock down the fire while it was still small and before it had spread and made the environment fatal for the occupant within the structure.”
Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue responded with two fire engines, one command vehicle, with a total of seven personnel. Olympic Ambulance responded with a paramedic ambulance to provide EMS care and Clallam County Sheriff’s Office responded with two deputies to provide support.