PORT ANGELES – A 48-year-old man who perished in a smoldering house fire Sunday died of smoke inhalation, an autopsy shows.
Michael Wayne McGreen of Port Angeles was found dead in a bedroom of his home at 1037 W. Tenth St. by firefighters.
Firefighters were summoned to the residence after a passer-by called 9-1-1 to report light smoke showing from the eaves and roof vents of the house at 9:19 a.m.
“Firefighters entered the burning home, extinguished the fire and discovered the resident inside,” a statement from the Port Angeles Fire Department said.
“The fire was most likely the result of improperly discarded smoking materials,” the statement said.
Fire Marshal Ken Dubuc said investigators ruled out an electrical fire and candles as possible causes, and noted that matches and cigarette butts were found in the house.
The fire started and smoldered for some time in a back bedroom before it was discovered, but Dubuc said investigators weren’t sure for how long.
“My guess it was quite some time,” Dubuc said, noting that the window and door to the bedroom were closed.
Clallam County Deputy Prosecutor Tim Davis, acting as coroner, said an autopsy was performed on McGreen Monday and showed that he died of smoke inhalation.
Toxicology test results had not yet been returned to the prosecutor’s office, Davis said.