Jefferson County International Airport runway project slated to begin next May

Port to host meeting Wednesday to update pilots

PORT TOWNSEND — The Port of Port Townsend will field questions about its $5.2 million runway reconstruction project at the Jefferson County International Airport at a meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

The meeting will be at Tailspin Tommy’s, 300 Airport Road in Port Townsend.

Port Executive Director Jim Pivarnik and Deputy Director Eric Toews will discuss the final project design, the bid process and the plans for next spring.

Construction is expected to begin in May 2020 and close the airport to all flights for 44 days until mid-June, Pivarnik said.

“We’re out to bid right now, and bids are due next week,” he said. “We have engineering work, and work on specifications for what materials we’re going to be using between now and May.”

The port submitted a special application to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and received full funding for a complete rebuild of the runway, Pivarnik said.

The FAA typically pays up to 90 percent for similar projects, and the state and the sponsor often split the remaining 10 percent, he said.

The port will pay 5 percent of a smaller project for a connector taxiway, or about $5,000 toward a $100,000 project, Pivarnik said.

Significant impact

The six-week closure has the potential for a significant impact at the airport, including the Port Townsend Aero Museum and the Spruce Goose Cafe, Pivarnik said.

“The air museum relies on fly-ins, and the Spruce Goose certainly does,” he said. “We’re talking about a cooperative advertising program to get locals to visit the museum and visit the Spruce Goose during construction.”

Pivarnik added that pilots who need to use the planes they keep on site will need to move them before construction begins.

The port delayed the project until next spring to avoid the busiest time of the year during the summer months. It would have been too late in the season to start this fall because of the difficulty of laying asphalt when it’s cold and rainy, Pivarnik said.

“We’re going to be talking about the overall view of what the airport is going to look like and take input from [the pilots],” he said. “We’re not going to be changing anything at this stage, but we want to hear their concerns and talk about how to mitigate those concerns.”

________

Jefferson County Managing Editor Brian McLean can be reached at 360-385-2335, ext. 6, or at [email protected] dailynews.com.

More in News

Seattle hospital to refuse some patients due to capacity

Harborview Medical Center in Seattle will temporarily… Continue reading

PHOTO BY: Susan Doupé
CAPTION: Priya Jayadev is the new executive director for Volunteer Hospice of Clallam County.
New executive director for Volunteer Hospice of Clallam County

Volunteer Hospice of Clallam County has hired Supriya “Priya” Jayadev as its… Continue reading

Steve Mullensky/for Peninsula Daily News
The Port Townsend City Council seeks to sell the Cherry Street property that had been barged over from Canada  five years ago to become affordable housing.
Port Townsend aims to sell Cherry Street housing project

Stalled for years, affordable housing project all but adandoned

Layla Franson, 15, and Jackson, her 10-year-old Quarter Horse, are competing in 4H at the Jefferson County Fair this weekend. Like many counties across the state, Jefferson County has seen a decline in the numbers of youths enrolled in 4H after the COVID lockdown and is actively seeking to reboot its program. (Paula Hunt/Peninsula Daily News)
Jefferson County Fair back after two-year hiatus

4H looks for bounceback after restrictions eased

Housing, opioids topics at county meetings

Meetings across Clallam, Jeffersom counties

Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News
Fair Queen Allison Pettit, front, and Queen's Court Sophia Lawson, shown on Aug. 6 on their parade float in the Joyce Daze Wild Blackberry Festival, will preside over the Clallam County Fair starting on Thursday in Port Angeles.
Clallam County Fair back in 2022

Four days of grandstand events, music, food and fun start Thursday

Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News
Scaffolding covers a section of the sidewalk in the 100 block of West First Street to support workers as they upgrade the the facade on Lee Plaza.
Affordable housing units get upgrades

Scaffolding in downtown Port Angeles evidence of one of several PHA projects

Lower Dungeness: Towne Road and Levee Trail closed

Towne Road and the adjacent Dungeness Levee Trail are currently… Continue reading

Most Read