Good Samaritan killed while helping stranded Sequim motorist

PORT ORCHARD — The State Patrol is seeking witnesses to a fatal hit and run that killed a Good Samaritan who stopped to help a Sequim motorist on Sedgwick Road in south Kitsap County.

Katherine G. Phillips, 34, of Belfair, had stopped to assist Katy D. Meeker, 34, of Sequim at 5 a.m. Thursday when an vehicle struck Phillips and continued on, according to a State Patrol collision memo.

Phillips, a ferry worker who was heading home after her overnight shift, was pronounced dead at the scene. Meeker was not injured.

Troopers have located the car that hit Phillips and did not stop, the State Patrol announced Saturday. The car is a gold, 2002 Chevrolet Impala, they said. It will be processed by the State Patrol crime lab for evidence.

“Detectives would like to speak with anyone who may have observed the Chevrolet Impala or have in-vehicle video from a ferry crossing that arrived at the Southworth ferry dock at 4:50 a.m. on Thursday,” the State Patrol said in a news release.

Those with information are asked to contact Detective Krista Hedstrom at 360-473-0142 or [email protected] or Detective Sergent Mark Wilson at 360-473-0141 or [email protected]

The death occurred on Sedgwick Road, or state Highway 160, near Peppermill Place southeast of Port Orchard.

Sedgwick Road was blocked for four hours, 38 minutes, troopers said.

The State Patrol said Meeker’s Nissan Pathfinder had become disabled and Phillips stopped to offer assistance.

Phillips and Meeker were both crouched in the roadway attempting to fix the Pathfinder when an unknown vehicle approached from the west, struck Phillips and continued, the State Patrol said.

Sherry Jones, who considered Phillips a friend, told KOMO-News that Phillips stopped at her workplace, the Sedgwick One Stop Chevron in Port Orchard, on Thursday morning to fill a gas can for a stranded motorist.

“She came in and (was) her bubbly self like she always is,” Jones told the news station.

She put $10 worth of gas on her card, then was out the door to return to the stranded vehicle.

Jones said it was exactly 4:49 a.m. when Phillips bought the gas. It was 10 minutes later State Patrol got a call that a pedestrian had been hit — it was Phillips.

“We’re grieving. Even me. It’s tough” said Phil Olwell who was Phillips’ supervisor at the Southworth Ferry Terminal. On Friday, workers at the Southworth Ferry terminal worse purple ribbons with a “K” in memory of Phillips.

“We need to memorialize her and celebrate her, and then we need to never forget her. She was that important to me and this work group,” he told KOMO-News.

Olwell said their hearts are not only heavy for their beloved co-worker but also for the woman who Katie tried to help. She was not injured during the hit-and-run but was shaken up.

“I’m sure that she is in a tough spot, and if we could or I could we’d wrap our arms around her and let her know that she’s not alone and that the person that stopped and helped her would do it again,” Olwell said.

Phillips wasn’t just a customer, Jones told KOMO-News. She was a friend who would do anything to help anyone.

“That’s what makes me angry because of the kind of person she is,” Jones said. “She stopped to help a stranger and a stranger did this to her. A person did this to her.”

Jones hopes the person who did this will now do the right thing.

“You need to come forward, definitely. You really truly do. Really truly do. It’s going to be worse in the end,” Jones sid. “She didn’t deserve this. She didn’t deserve this.”

Phillips’ co-workers set up an account at Washington State Employees Credit Union to help her family. It is called the Katie Phillips Fund.

Her friends have started a GoFundMe page at to help her family.

The page had raised $6,355 of a $120,000 goal as of Saturday.

More in News

Crescent School club marks Red Ribbon Week

Movement encourages kids to be drug free

State Parks announces winter camping, day-use schedule

More than 100 parks remain open year round

Washington State Department of Agriculture entomologist Chris Looney looks at two of the dozens of Asian giant hornets he vacuumed from a nest in a nearby tree Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Blaine, Wash. Scientists in Washington state discovered the first nest earlier in the week of so-called murder hornets in the United States and plan to wipe it out Saturday to protect native honeybees, officials said. Workers with the state Agriculture Department spent weeks searching, trapping and using dental floss to tie tracking devices to Asian giant hornets, which can deliver painful stings to people and spit venom but are the biggest threat to honeybees that farmers depend on to pollinate crops. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
Scientists remove 98 ‘murder hornets’ in state

Workers sustain no stings or other injuries

COVID-19 cases rising statewide

Hospitalizations up in western Washington

Center Valley Animal Rescue director Sara Penhallegon, right, along with veterinarian and volunteer Dr. Christine Parker-Graham conduct a medical evaluation on a female cougar that checked itself in to the rescue earlier this month. (Center Valley Animal Rescue)
Starving cougar found at animal rescue center

Staff members rehab lost animal, send to Texas zoo

Sequim to host broadband meeting

The city of Sequim will host a Community Broadband Meeting… Continue reading

Police identify man who succumbed to self-inflicted gunshot

Police have identified the man who died Saturday afternoon… Continue reading

Horticulture class registration opens Nov. 14

Online program offered by Washington State University Clallam County Extension

Peninsula sees high demand for flu vaccinations

Pharmacies report significant uptick

Most Read