A fire destroyed a Sequim-area residential garage and shed, but firefighters extinguished the blaze before it engulfed a home.
There were no serious injuries, but the homeowner did have a few small burns on his hands and arms from trying to put out the fire before firefighters arrived, Clallam County District 3 Assistant Chief Dan Orr said.
The fire erupted about 5 p.m. Saturday in the garage of a home on Solmar Drive in Sequim.
Crews from Sequim, Blyn and Carlsborg arrived to find the garage and a shed fully engulfed, and the fire was quickly spreading toward the home, melting its vinyl window frames, according to a press release from the fire district.
Firefighters from Carlsborg extinguished the part of the fire that had reached the house and worked to cool the fire while the other units, along with off-duty volunteers, helped to shuttle water from a nearby hydrant to a tender truck to control the blaze, the press release said.
Despite the damage, the family was able to return to the home once the fire was out, Orr said.
The cause was likely due to a chewed-up electrical wire, Orr said, but the homeowner’s insurance company was still investigating Monday.
Damage was estimated to be about $150,000, according to the press release.
Reporter Ken Park can be reached by email at [email protected]