PORT ANGELES — Occupants of a home near U.S. Highway 101 east of Port Angeles were evacuated after materials ignited near a water heater, causing flames in the basement.
The fire was reported at 7:29 p.m. Sunday in the 100 block of North Lilac Avenue near the intersection of Mount Pleasant Road and Highway 101, Jake Patterson, Clallam County Fire District 2 chief, said Monday morning.
Firefighters extinguished flames in the basement, confining the fire, Patterson said.
An elderly man who was evaluated by Olympic Ambulance at the scene for smoke inhalation did not need hospital care, Patterson said.
Clallam County Public Utility District shut power off to the three-bedroom, 1,440-square-foot residence after the fire was brought under control.
The American Red Cross helped provide the residents with overnight shelter, Patterson said.
He estimated the fire caused about $2,000 in damage to the hot water tank and a small area around it.
“We’re not investigating it any further,” Patterson said.
“We don’t have an exact cause. It was unintentional.”
The initial reports were that a dryer fire had spread to the laundry room, causing the occupants to evacuate the structure, Patterson said.
Sixteen firefighters responded to the incident with three fire engines, two command vehicles and an ambulance.
By the time they arrived, the laundry room had filled with smoke and smoke was coming from the back corner windows and doors, including the front door.
A covered stairway led to the basement, which was not accessible from the outside.
Fire department personnel left the scene at 9 p.m. Sunday.
Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 55650, or at [email protected].