PORT ANGELES — The Port Angeles Fire Department played Santa early Christmas morning to the residents at 903 S. Pine St.
Emergency personnel gave them a free smoke alarm after a budding fire at their home went no farther than a melted holiday ornament and a charred mantelpiece.
The residents awoke to the smell of smoke, according to their 4:27 a.m. Tuesday 9-1-1 call, but avoided serious harm to themselves or damage to their home, fire department Lt. Andrew Cooper said Tuesday.
An unattended candle had apparently melted a Christmas ornament, blackening the wood around a fireplace and jarring the residents awake with acrid fumes.
Cooper said the fire never extended to other parts of the house.
Still, an engine, medic unit and five emergency personnel responded.
“There was no active fire,” Cooper said.
“It could have been a lot worse.
“Fortunately, it was nothing.”