Federal officers advance on members of the “Wall of Moms” group during a Black Lives Matter protest at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse on Wednesday, July 29, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press)

Federal officers advance on members of the “Wall of Moms” group during a Black Lives Matter protest at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse on Wednesday, July 29, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press)

Federal troops to begin withdrawal from Portland

By Gillian Flaccus and Jonathan Lemire | The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. — Federal agents who have clashed with protesters in Portland, Ore., will begin a “phased withdrawal” from the city, Gov. Kate Brown said Wednesday.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said in a statement the plan negotiated with Brown over the last 24 hours includes a “robust presence” of Oregon State Police in the downtown of the state’s largest city.

“State and local law enforcement will begin securing properties and streets, especially those surrounding federal properties, that have been under nightly attack for the past two months,” Wolf said.

Agents with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement will begin leaving the city’s downtown area on Thursday, Brown said.

Federal Protective Service agents — who are always posted at the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse — will work alongside state police to guard the exterior of the courthouse and a limited number of other federal agents will remain inside the courthouse, she said.

Wolf said that although federal agents will leave the downtown area, they will maintain a presence in Portland “until we are assured that the Hatfield Federal Courthouse and other federal properties will no longer be attacked and that the seat of justice in Portland will remain secure.”

If conditions in Portland “improve significantly,” then the U.S. government will reassess its staffing levels in the city, he said.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler applauded the end of what he called “an illegal occupation” in a lengthy Twitter post, saying the news came on the same day that the City Council would vote on whether to refer a major police reform initiative to voters in November.

“The federal occupation of our community has brought a new kind of fear to our streets,” Wheeler said.

“Federal agents nearly killed a demonstrator, and their presence has led to increased violence and vandalism in our downtown core.”

Before departing Wednesday for a trip to Texas, President Donald Trump said federal troops would not leave Portland until local authorities “secured their city.”

“Either they’re gonna clean up Portland soon, or the federal government is going up, and we’re gonna do it for them,” he said.

The announcement was an abrupt about-face from just two days earlier, when the U.S. government said it might send more federal agents to Portland instead.

The U.S. Marshals Service and Department of Homeland Security had been weighing this week whether to send in more agents. The marshals were taking steps to identify up to 100 additional personnel who could go in case they were needed to relieve or supplement the deputy marshals who work in Oregon, spokesman Drew Wade said.

Brown, who worked with Vice President Mike Pence on the withdrawal, cautioned Wednesday that the departure of the Border Protection and immigration agents may not immediately resolve the conflict at the courthouse. Protests have roiled Portland for more than two months since the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died after being pinned at the neck by a white Minneapolis police officer.

Like many other protests nationwide, they sought to highlight and call for an end to racial injustice, but they had increasingly focused on federal property even before the U.S. agents arrived.

“I have grown increasingly concerned at the nightly confrontation between local community members and federal officers. We need to recognize that the protests in Portland are not solely about the federal presence,” Brown said.

Many protesters want to see the Portland Police Bureau defunded and are angry that officers used tear gas on protesters multiple times before the federal government arrived and tensions escalated further. Brown said the departure of the federal agents was a chance to address that anger and begin to make improvements in community policing.

“I will work with community leaders and elected officials to take bolder action to reform our police practices — including those of the Portland Police Bureau. We need to get this right,” she said.

The nightly Portland protests often spiral into violence as demonstrators target the U.S. courthouse with rocks, fireworks and laser pointers. Federal agents respond with tear gas, so-called less-lethal ammunition and arrests.

Protesters have tried almost every night to tear down a fence erected to protect the building, set fires in the street and hurled fireworks, Molotov cocktails and bricks, rocks and bottles at the agents inside. Authorities this week reinforced the fence by putting concrete highway barriers around it.

Demonstrators near the courthouse Wednesday were met before dawn with tear gas, pepper balls and impact munitions fired by agents, the Oregonian newspaper reported.

More in News

Deputies seek information after man found dead near Joyce

Sheriff’s office does not believe subject was victim of crime

Participants in the 12th annual Ride the Hurricane event push up Hurricane Ridge Road above the tunnels Sunday morning. More than 600 riders signed up for the recreational event, a round-trip to the top of Hurricane Ridge and back to the Port Angeles City Pier. (Dave Logan/for Peninsula Daily News)
Riding the Hurricane

Participants in the 12th annual Ride the Hurricane event push up Hurricane… Continue reading

East Beach wildfire grows to 84 acres

Marine layer helps settle down blaze

Judge allows petition to recall Thurston County sheriff to move forward

Snaza accused of failing to enforce mask mandate

Weekly flight operations scheduled

There will be field carrier landing practice operations for aircraft… Continue reading

Sequim school district nurse to talk about COVID-19

Sonja Bittner will talk about COVID-19 health guidelines at 10… Continue reading

Clallam County reports an additional COVID-19 case

One of two Jefferson County cases linked out of state

The age range of COVID-19 cases is updated each Friday on the Clallam County Public Health website. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Peninsula virus cases up to 154

Clallam, Jefferson both report new cases

Panel OKs proposals to amend county charter

Voters will consider again two familiar measures Nov. 3… Continue reading

Most Read