How the Port Angeles School District plans to pare expenses to balance the 2002-2003 budget:
* $726,000: Adjustments in certificated instructional staff to state staffing formula for basic education.
* $290,000: Reduce classified positions throughout the district.
* $90,000: Make administrative reductions in school administration staff, per staffing formula.
* $160,000: Net savings estimate for 2002-03 special education by shaving a couple positions and putting some people in regular education classes.
* $71,000: Reduce teacher workdays from 3 to 2 to reflect state funding.
* $50,000: Reduce Central Office classified and non-employee-related costs. Affects field trips and staff development.
* $50,000: Eliminate DARE anti-drug program due to loss of grant funding.
* $50,000: 10 percent reduction in base building budgets across the board.
* $50,000: Trim extracurricular athletics.
* $50,000: Cut technology equipment purchases.
* $33,000: Resume 1 mile walk zone for middle school-aged and high school-aged students; consolidate routes to reflect reduction in students.
* $20,000: Eliminate support for summer school and increase fees and grants.
* $17,500: Increase recycling efforts, with half of savings back to schools.
* $17,000: Eliminate driver-education program.
* $15,000: Reduce non-grant-funded travel and staff development by 10 percent.
* $13,200: Reduce Visions newsletter to quarterly publication from monthly.
* $12,000: No automatic classified substitutes, if not directly dealing with students.
* $10,000: Cut utility expenses by an additional 2 percent.
Savings: $1.72 million
* $125,000: Addition of 2.5 behavior intervention specialist positions to elementary schools.
Net savings: $1.59 millionPort Angeles School District