Billy Thomas will be the first to tell you that it’s hard to find a financial institution as passionate about their community as the team at Peninsula Credit Union.
“We’re mission-focused on financial empowerment and being inclusive in our communities. We constantly ask ourselves if what we’re doing aligns with our mission: We listen, we serve, we educate, we care…always,” explains Thomas, PCU Marketing Director in Shelton, Washington.
“A few years ago, our board members realized that we have a high number of Spanish-speaking community members who were underrepresented in our credit union. We decided we must invite members from these communities into PCU, and create a cultural shift for Spanish speakers creating new lives here. They can speak to a teller in Spanish when they’re doing their banking with others. We want them to feel like it is their home,” Thomas says.
5 reasons to make Peninsula Credit Union your ‘second home’:
- An inclusive, trusted and safe space: “Research showed us that we needed to reach out to our Spanish-speaking population since many are building new lives, but did not trust that they would be treated equally in a financial institution,” Thomas explains. “We want them to feel safe and welcomed.”
- Financial counselors for free: Everyone at PCU is a certified financial counselor who can create and tailor financial plans for free for members, working with them one-on one, either in-person or online.
- Full-service institution: “We want all members, including our Spanish-speaking people with ITIN’s (Individual Tax Id numbers) to know that we can help them with checking and savings accounts, personal and car loans, mortgages and much more,” Thomas says.
- Passionate, personalized service that can also help during a government shutdown or financial crisis: “We have a personalized approach that includes financial counseling services, a payday alternative loan, a skip pay program for loan payments, and more,” Thomas says.
- Financial empowerment: This is the ongoing mission at Peninsula Credit Union, Thomas says: “PCU has both the resources at national organization levels and support from our members to create financial empowerment that our members truly deserve.”