PORT ANGELES — Holy Trinity Lutheran Church will hold an open house to celebrate its 125th anniversary from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6.
The public is invited to tour the church at 301 E. Lopez Ave.
Visitors will be able to view displays highlighting the church’s ministries and its history.
There will be live music, light refreshments and the opportunity to chat with service organizers and church leaders.
The church traces its lineage back to the German-speaking St. John’s Lutheran Church established in 1894 between Oak and Laurel streets.
The church moved to Eighth and Oak streets and was renamed Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in 1936.
When it moved into its current location on Lopez Avenue in 1956, the area was considered “out of town.” Since then, however, the neighborhood has grown up around it with homes, Jefferson Elementary School and the Port Angeles Branch of the North Olympic Library System.
Work teams from Holy Trinity helped build Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Forks and Dungeness Valley Lutheran Church in Sequim.
Some of the service organizations that the church is involved with include Franklin School Mentors, TAFY meals, Friendship Dinner, Threads of Love, Lutheran World Relief quilts and care kits, Habitat for Humanity, Serenity House, Boys & Girls Club, MANNA, Healthy Families, Port Angeles Food Bank and the Olympic Peninsula Community Clinic.
The church houses a pipe organ and a Steinway piano. Its sanctuary is a popular venue for a variety of community musical groups for concerts both sacred and secular.