FORKS — Rain or shine, Forks’ 2018 RainFest begins today and runs through Sunday.
The annual festival celebrates the famous West End rain, rain forests, rivers and coast with family-friendly events such as the Umbrella Parade, free floats on a river, ice cream and a quilt show.
All RainFest events are free unless otherwise noted:
• 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Fabric of the Forest Quilt Class – “French Twist” Department of Natural Resources conference room, 411 Tillicum Lane. Pre-registration is required at PiecemakersQuiltClub.org.
• Noon – 4 p.m.: Forever Twilight in Forks Collection – Rainforest Arts Center (RAC) alcove, 11 N. Forks Ave.
• Noon – 6 p.m. : Fabric of the Forest Quilt Show and vendors – Forks High School auxiliary gym, 261 S. Spartan Ave.
• 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.: RainFest Book Sale, Friends of the Forks Library – Forks Library, 171 Forks Ave.
• 7 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.: Free dance lessons sponsored by the Rainforest Council for the Arts – RAC, 11 N. Forks Ave.
• 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Quilter’s Trunk Show & Lecture “Who is Doug Leko? Come find out!” Meet the featured quilter for 2018 – DNR conference room, 411 Tillicum Lane. Donation at door appreciated but not required.
All-day free entry at Olympic National Park to celebrate the beginning of National Park Week.
• 9 a.m. – noon: Umbrella decorating hosted by West Olympic Council on the Arts. This year’s parade theme is “Crazy River Creatures.” Creature costumes are invited at the ICN Building at 71 N. Spartan Ave. Enter from the parking lot in back.
• 9 a.m. – noon: Children’s book giveaway. Hosted by the Clallam County Literacy Council at the ICN Building.
• 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Free River Floats by the Olympic Peninsula Guides’ Association. A shuttle to the river will be leaving frequently throughout the day from the Forks Outfitters (Thriftway) parking lot, 950 S. Forks Ave.
• 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Fabric of the Forest Quilt Class: “Mysterious” – DNR Conference Room. Pre-registration is required at PiecemakersQuiltClub.org.
• 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.: John’s Beachcombing Museum Special Early Season Opening at 143 Andersonville Ave., general admission for ages 18 and over is $5; $4 for seniors; $2 for veterans and children age 12-18. Active duty military and their families are admitted free. All children age 12 and under are admitted free with an adult.
• 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.: Fabric of the Forest Quilt Show and Vendors – Forks High School auxiliary gym, 261 S. Spartan Ave.; RainFest Book Sale, Friends of the Forks Library – Forks Library; Library Make and Take. All ages, make a bag from a T-shirt – Forks Library; Far West Art League Show and Sale – RAC foyer.
• 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Art for All Ages. This event is free; all supplies will be provided and teacher will be present at the RAC. No skill required.
• Noon – 1 p.m.: Crazy River Creatures Umbrella Parade: Route runs from the ICN building to East Division Street and down the west side sidewalk of U.S. Highway 101 to Forks Outfitters.
• Noon – 2 p.m.: Free root beer floats will be given away, courtesy of the Olympic Peninsula Guides’ Association at Forks Outfitters, 950 S. Forks Ave.
• Noon – 4 p.m.: Forever Twilight in Forks Collection – RAC alcove.
• 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.: The Forkestra will perform at the RAC.
• 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Doors open for the River & Ocean Film Festival – RAC; Clallam County Solid Waste Re-Imagination Contest on display. Contest winners announced during film festival intermission – RAC.
• 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.: River & Ocean Film Festival – RAC.
All day free entry to state parks in honor of Earth Day.
• Noon – 4 p.m.: Fabric of the Forest Quilt Show and Vendors – Forks High School auxiliary gym; Fiber Arts/Spinning Circle – RAC; Far West Art League Show and Sale – RAC foyer.
• 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Cedar Weaving Class: Must pre-register by sending email to email@example.com – RAC.