FORKS — Hickory Shirt/Heritage Days will offer six days of activities from Tuesday through Sunday.
John Tylczak will talk about his photos in “Views from the Northwoods,” telling why and how he did them during a West End Historical Society Talk and Slide Show from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Forks Congregational Church, 280 Spartan Ave.
That day at 6 will be an Evening Storytime for the whole family at the Forks Library, 171 S. Forks Ave.
And that’s only the beginning.
The annual celebration, which has the theme of Stump Stories — West End Homesteading, fetes the history of the West End, based in logging and hard work.
Residents are urged to wear their hickory shirts, blue-grey and white striped shirts worn by loggers.
Admission to the Timber Museum at 1421 S. Forks Ave., will be free all days of the celebration.
A special display is planned all week in the Forks Library.
Here is the schedule for the rest of the week. (the Forks Chamber of Commerce warns that the schedule is subject to change without notice.)
• 7:30 a.m. — West End Business & Professional Association Pioneer Logger Award. Also cuts from documentary will be shown.
• 9 a.m. — Logging and mill tour, begins at Forks Visitor Center at 1411 S. Forks Ave.
Space is limited. Seats can be reserved by calling 360-374-2531.
• Noon — Heidi Oberfranc will present “Raincountry Homestead — Homesteading in Modern Times,” at the Forks Chamber of Commerce meeting at Blakeslee’s Bar and Grill, 1222 S. Forks Ave.
• 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. — Homesteading stories/poems/modern day homesteading at the Rainforest Art Center (RAC) at 35 N. Forks Ave.
• 7 p.m. — “The General” film shows at the RAC, with coffee and cookies provided.
• 10:30 a.m. — Family Storytime at the Forks Library.
• 6:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. — Forkestra at RAC.
• 7:30 p.m. — “A String of Stories about Aprons and Those Who Wore Them” by the Rainforest Players at RAC.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Spinners and Knitters at museum.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Art Show at RAC lobby.
• Noon to 3 p.m. — Family events at Forks Library – check for times and ages.
• 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. — Beginner cedar bark basket weaving at the RAC; $25. Sign up 360-640-0359.
• TBA — Log Truck Parade on Forks Avenue.
• 1 p.m. — Dedication of Gold Star Families Memorial Monument at Forks Transit Center, 551 S. Forks Ave. Music provided by the Northwest Navy Band.
• 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. — All Ages Art at the RAC lobby
• Noon to 5 p.m. — Sawing Demonstrations on the grass at the Forks Timber Museum.
• 7 p.m. — Dance at Rainforest Arts Center. Music by Loose Gravel.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Spinners and Knitters at museum.
• Noon to 4 p.m. — Art Show at the RAC lobby
• 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. — Level 2 cedar bark basket weaving at the RAC. $25 to participate. Call 360-640-0359 to sign up.
• 3 p.m. — Little Logger Contest sponsored by Forks Lions Club, location TBA.