In addition to annual coastal cleanups, organizations, businesses and individuals across the North Olympic Peninsula are hosting events to celebrate Earth Day on Saturday.
Here is the list:
• Spring Cleanup volunteers are sought to weed, sweep sidewalks, wash windows, paint and spiff up parks and storefronts from 9 a.m. to noon.
RSVP in advance to the Port Townsend Main Street office at 360-385-7911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer and get more information. Volunteers will need to bring hand tools and gloves, and wear work clothes.
• Scotch broom removal is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Fort Flagler State Park.
The park will provide free day passes to any volunteer who does not have a state park pass.
Volunteers will bring their own tools, water, masks and gloves and be directed to a specific site.
To register, go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/earthday-scott-broom-removal-tickets- 484074729547.
• The North Olympic Salmon Coalition is organizing an Earth Day Mulching Work Party from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Dungeness River in Sequim.
The event is on private property and the location will be provided upon RSVP.
Contact Ælfhild Wiklund at 360-504-5611 or at email@example.com.
• Wild Birds Unlimited will host its annual Earth Day Celebration from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with an appearance by a special guest, Zeuffi, a white morph Gyre Falcon that is the Discovery Bay Wild Bird Rescue’s newest avian ambassador.
Birds of prey will be presented from noon to 2 p.m.
Donations will be accepted for the rescue.
Other special guests for the day include the Dungeness River Nature Center, Olympic Peninsula Audubon, Peninsula Friends of Animals, Jefferson County Trash Taskforce, Port Townsend StyroCyclers and Eagle Creek Native Plants.
• A rally and march down Water Street in Port Townsend is planned at noon with marchers gathering with their signs at the triangle at Sims Way and Kearney Street adjacent to the Food Coop.
The event is organized by Port Townsend Indivisible.
• Earth Day 2023 Benefit Concert for Oceana will be at 3 p.m. at Olympic Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at 1033 N. Barr Road, Port Angeles/Sequim.
Admission will be free, although donations are appreciated.
See www.worthyvisions.com for more information.
• Movie Screening “The Ants & the Grasshopper” will be at 7 p.m. at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 301 E. Lopez Ave, Port Angeles.
Admission is free.