PORT ANGELES — A Sequim man and his alleged accomplice have been arraigned on kidnapping charges following an Aug. 8 incident in Sequim.
Christopher Charles Cooper, 27, pleaded not guilty Friday to first-degree kidnapping and second-degree robbery.
Jerez Darren McGrew, 31, pleaded not guilty to being an accomplice to first-degree kidnapping.
Sequim police alleged that Cooper forced a Sequim man to accompany him to a Spruce Street residence — threatening to kill him if he didn’t comply — and took the man’s cellphone as they traveled in the alleged victim’s vehicle.
According to court documents, Cooper punched the alleged victim in the mouth when a third party confirmed that the alleged victim had been “talking s—-” about Cooper.
Sequim police said McGrew accompanied Cooper during the course of the alleged kidnapping.
The alleged victim denied that he had spoken disparagingly about Cooper. He fled from the Spruce Street residence after being punched, police said.
The man told police that he feared for his life during the incident.
Cooper and McGrew are each scheduled to go to trial Oct. 10.
Cooper was being held Monday in the Clallam County jail on $75,000 bail.
Clallam County Superior Court Judge Christopher Melly denied Cooper’s request for a reduced bail at arraignment Friday.
McGrew is begin held on $40,000 bail.
Melly denied McGrew’s request to be released on his personal recognizance.
Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected] dailynews.com.