Sequim man pleads guilty to child porn charges

PORT ANGELES — A Sequim man pleaded guilty this week to dealing and possessing child pornography after federal agents discovered more than 8,000 images and videos of child pornography on his computers.

William Daracunas, 40, pleaded guilty Tuesday in Clallam County Superior Court to a single count of dealing in depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct and two counts of possessing depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct and is facing a standard sentencing range of 57 months (4.75 years) to 75 months (6.25 years) in prison.

As a result of a plea deal, prosecutors agreed to dismiss a single count of dealing in depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct and three counts of possession of depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct.

Sentencing is set for Nov. 7.

Daracunas was initially charged with all seven counts in November after a special agent with Homeland Security Investigations (an investigative arm of the federal Department of Homeland Security) assigned to Port Angeles downloaded images from Daracunas using peer-to-peer file sharing software.

The investigation started Jan. 30, 2018, when the agent downloaded the first image, court records say. The agent downloaded several photos that depicted adults sexually abusing boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 12.

After providing an internet service provider the suspect’s IP address, the agent determined that the images were sent from a computer in a home in Sequim. The agent learned Daracunas was associated with that home.

In March the agent began conducting surveillance on that home before applying for a federal search warrant to search for evidence.

On May 2, 2018, agents from HSI, with the assistance of other law enforcement agencies, served the search warrant and found several computers and tablets in Daracunas’ bedroom.

During an interview with agents May 2, 2018, Daracunas admitted that he had child pornography on his computers and that he had been downloading child pornography at least once a month for less than a year.

Daracunas also admitted that he knew the file sharing software he was using allowed others to download the images from his computer. He said he hoped nobody would find out about his interest in child pornography, court records said.

It took a computer forensics analyst to review all 8,481 of the images and videos found on his devices. Among the videos court records mention is one depicting an adult man with a boy estimated to be 2 to 3 years old.

The agent submitted 4,091 images and 474 videos to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

A report from the NCMEC identified 225 image and video files as depicting 257 known victims of child pornography.

Daracunas was served a criminal summons in December 2018 and first appeared in court in January of this year, where he was released without bail

________

Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at jmajor@peninsula dailynews.com.

More in Crime

Forks man arrested on investigation of drug possession

A Forks man was arrested on investigation of drug possession… Continue reading

Attempted murder trial pushed to November

Sequim man allegedly shot at neighbor in 2022

Drive-by shooter sentenced to 5½ years in prison

Port Angeles man convicted after two-day jury trial

Arrest warrant issued for Sequim contractor

Complainants allege Gamboa failed to complete jobs after being paid

Sequim man charged with six counts of child rape

A Sequim man is facing six counts of third-degree… Continue reading

Alleged bank robber shot by police is identified

A man who allegedly attempted to rob a bank… Continue reading

Woman gets 20 years for murder

Court adds four months for max penalty

Former ER physician still faces civil trial

Hill pleaded guilty to lesser charges Friday

Former physician agrees to plea deal for assaults

Sentencing hearing set for June 24

Clallam Bay man sentenced to 41 years for June 2023 murder

Ojeda-Ibarra pleaded guilty in December

Trial dates set in Sequim home invasion case

Sheriff’s office says actions tied to drug trafficking