Port Angeles man charged with second-degree child rape

PORT ANGELES — A 57-year-old Port Angeles man charged with raping a 29-year-old Yakima woman when she was a child will be arraigned Friday in Clallam County Superior Court.

Cory A. McCown, was arrested last Thursday, posted $5,000 bail the following day, and was charged Tuesday with two counts of second-degree rape of a child with special allegation-position of trust enhancements.

McCown is charged with sexually assaulting the girl between Aug. 1, 2001, to Sept. 20, 2002, when she was between 12 and 14 years old.

Second-degree rape of a child is a Class A penalty punishable by up to life in prison and-or a $50,000 fine.

Under state law, rape of a child can be prosecuted until the alleged victim is 30 years old.

The woman reported to the Port Angeles Police Department on May 31 that McCown sexually abused her as a child when she was in the seventh grade, according to the probable cause statement issued Friday.

She said McCown assaulted her while she was sleeping.

She said she disclosed the abuse to a friend when she was 13 or 14 years old in a phone call during which McCown was on another line and heard the conversation.

“Cory told [the girl] not to say anything” and he placed her on a youth at risk program, according to the probable cause statement.

Two of the woman’s friends told authorities that she told them McCown had sexually abused her.

She told authorities that when she was about 24, McCown “made a move” on her when the two were alone in his house.

Port Angeles Police Officer Shane Martin obtained a court order to record a conversation between the woman and McCown that was executed June 13.

“So, you’re saying I did things to you because, I just have one like, very vague memory of like, being very inappropriate and then, I was like, basically had a blackout being drunk,” McCown said during the conversation.

“So I wasn’t even sure if it was a memory or … if something happened, so.”

McCown vigorously denied the charges in his initial court appearance last week.

“I have to say, the charges are completely spurious,” McCown said.

“They’re bogus. I don’t know where this is coming from.”

________

Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 55650, or at pgottlieb@ peninsuladailynews.com.

More in Crime

Forks man arrested on investigation of drug possession

A Forks man was arrested on investigation of drug possession… Continue reading

Attempted murder trial pushed to November

Sequim man allegedly shot at neighbor in 2022

Drive-by shooter sentenced to 5½ years in prison

Port Angeles man convicted after two-day jury trial

Arrest warrant issued for Sequim contractor

Complainants allege Gamboa failed to complete jobs after being paid

Sequim man charged with six counts of child rape

A Sequim man is facing six counts of third-degree… Continue reading

Alleged bank robber shot by police is identified

A man who allegedly attempted to rob a bank… Continue reading

Woman gets 20 years for murder

Court adds four months for max penalty

Former ER physician still faces civil trial

Hill pleaded guilty to lesser charges Friday

Former physician agrees to plea deal for assaults

Sentencing hearing set for June 24

Clallam Bay man sentenced to 41 years for June 2023 murder

Ojeda-Ibarra pleaded guilty in December

Trial dates set in Sequim home invasion case

Sheriff’s office says actions tied to drug trafficking