Man to be charged following standoff

Law enforcement negotiated for eight hours

PORT ANGELES — A Port Angeles man accused in Friday’s hours-long standoff at a mobile home park is expected to have formal charges filed against him today.

Bail was set at $100,000 for Charles V. Smith, 72, during his first court appearance Monday before Clallam County Superior Court Judge Simon Barnhart.

Smith remained in the Clallam County jail on Tuesday for investigation of one count of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, domestic violence. He has requested a public defender.

Port Angeles Police Sgt. Brian Keegan, one of the negotiators during the standoff at a home at the park at U.S. Highway 101 near Monroe Road, testified that although law enforcement engaged in eight hours of negotiations, Smith surrendered only after pepper balls and pepper spray were deployed.

Deputies had been called to the 2000 block of East U.S. Highway 101 at about 2:30 p.m. Friday after a woman reported that her husband physically assaulted her and then pointed a firearm at her face in the residence they shared. She was able to flee the dwelling uninjured after deputies arrived.

Smith was arrested at about 10:30 p.m.

When deputies arrived, Smith said he would protect himself from them with his firearm, Keegan testified.

Keegan said Smith told deputies, “I’m going to start firing. I’m going to shoot. I’m going to check the perimeter. I’m going to find a better place to fire from.”

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Matthew Roberson requested $100,000 bail and a no-contact order with his wife.

He said he wasn’t concerned about Smith being a flight risk but rather about the potential for another violent crime against not only his wife but also law enforcement and interference with justice.

Roberson said that Smith’s wife had told police her husband had a history of domestic violence and this simply was the latest incident.

It had escalated with little or no cause and, instead of coming out peacefully, Smith chose to barricade himself, blocked the windows to prevent observation and a breach and threatened to take out the first deputy who came through the door, Roberson said.

Barnhart said Smith was not a flight risk, but it was a volatile and extremely dangerous arrest situation for not only law enforcement but also neighbors.

“I acknowledge that these are only allegations, but there was a factual basis for his arrest,” Barnhart said.


Reporter Brian Gawley can be reached at

More in Crime

Forks man arrested on investigation of drug possession

A Forks man was arrested on investigation of drug possession… Continue reading

Attempted murder trial pushed to November

Sequim man allegedly shot at neighbor in 2022

Drive-by shooter sentenced to 5½ years in prison

Port Angeles man convicted after two-day jury trial

Arrest warrant issued for Sequim contractor

Complainants allege Gamboa failed to complete jobs after being paid

Sequim man charged with six counts of child rape

A Sequim man is facing six counts of third-degree… Continue reading

Alleged bank robber shot by police is identified

A man who allegedly attempted to rob a bank… Continue reading

Woman gets 20 years for murder

Court adds four months for max penalty

Former ER physician still faces civil trial

Hill pleaded guilty to lesser charges Friday

Former physician agrees to plea deal for assaults

Sentencing hearing set for June 24

Clallam Bay man sentenced to 41 years for June 2023 murder

Ojeda-Ibarra pleaded guilty in December

Trial dates set in Sequim home invasion case

Sheriff’s office says actions tied to drug trafficking