Ex-corrections officer to serve 12 years in prison

Port Angeles man previously pleaded guilty to child molestation

PORT ANGELES — A former Clallam Bay Corrections Center officer has been sentenced to more than 12 years in prison for molesting an 11-year old girl and possessing child pornography.

Alexis R. Bustillos-Osuna, 32, of Port Angeles was sentenced Monday to 149 months — or 12 years, five months — and life on community custody.

He had pleaded guilty March 16 to one count of first-degree child molestation, four counts of first-degree possession of child pornography and one count of second-degree dealing in depictions of minors engaged in sexual explicit conduct.

“I can’t say enough how sorry I am for my actions,” Bustillos-Osuna said at his sentencing hearing Monday in Clallam County Superior Court.

“I’m sorry for what I’ve done to the people I’ve hurt, especially my family, (the victim’s mother) and the kids, and her family, and my family.”

Judge Brent Basden imposed the sentence as recommended by Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Matthew Roberson and defense attorney John Hayden of Clallam Public Defender.

It was the low end of the standard sentencing range from 149 months to 198 months.

Roberson said he consulted with the victim’s family before making the recommendation.

He said the sentence was “fair” and was made “with the hope of sparing (the victim) the need of reliving her trauma again in front of a jury of strangers, and this court, and with the defendant sitting across from her.”

“You will never hurt us again,” the victim’s mother told Bustillos-Osuna in court Monday.

“I will spend the rest of my life making sure that you will never look those little girls in the eyes again,” she added, referring to the survivor and her younger sister.

Port Angeles police alleged that Bustillos-Osuna molested an 11-year-old last November and had depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct on his computer hard drive.

The victim told investigators that Bustillos-Osuna assaulted her while the two were lying in bed and she was asleep, according to an affidavit for probable cause.

Bustillos-Osuna was working at Clallam Bay Corrections Center when the crimes occurred.

He was hired by the prison in March 2020 and fired Nov. 25 after the allegations surfaced, a corrections center spokesman has said.

Bustillos-Osuna pleaded guilty to amended charges March 16. He was originally charged with first-degree child rape.

Basden said the crimes to which Bustillos-Osuna pleaded guilty were predatory.

“It’s a product of probably a lot of different things, at least one of which is putting your own needs ahead of the needs of others, and that’s what you did,” Basden told Bustillos-Osuna.

“I also believe that you have accepted responsibility.”

Basden said it was “important to the court” that the prosecution, state Department of Corrections and the victim’s family each supported the sentencing recommendation.

“The reason that I am going to follow the recommendation and impose the 149 months is because of the ISRB (Indeterminate Sentencing Review Board) component of this,” Basden said.

Bustillos-Osuna’s case will be reviewed by the ISRB at the end of his prison term. The sentencing board has the discretion to keep Bustillos-Osuna imprisoned for up to a life term.

Port Angeles police said the victim told a family member that Bustillos-Osuna had touched her sexually.

In a recorded phone conversation, Bustillos-Osuna admitted he assaulted the girl and told her to keep it “a secret,” according to court documents.

Bustillos-Osuna had been jailed for assaulting the girl when a hard drive fell out of a coat that a family member was removing from a closet, according to a supplemental probable cause statement.

Investigators found hundreds of sexual photos and videos of children and infants, including 47 images of the 11-year-old and other photographs of her 5-year-old sister, according to the statement.

Hayden said Bustillos-Osuna had accepted responsibility for his actions.

“I only hope he’s able to get treatment (in prison),” Hayden said.

Basden signed a lifetime no-contact order preventing Bustillos-Osuna from having any contact with the victim.

The sexual assault case was the second resolved in Superior Court against a former Clallam Bay Corrections Center officer in recent months.

John Gray, 52, a former Forks jail and state prison officer, was sentenced to 20 months in prison on Feb. 1 after he pleaded guilty to four counts of custodial sexual misconduct for assaulting four Forks jail inmates.

________

Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at [email protected].

More in Crime

Man charged with second-degree murder

Suspect turns self in after 12-hour manhunt

Alleged mail bandit arrested

Man accused of forging checks

The jury was shown an ammunition clip during testimony last week in the Dennis Bauer murder trial.
Triple-murder trial resumes Monday

Dropped gun clip possible link

Driver in rollover unhurt

Man’s vehicle destroyed

State Patrol Forensic Analyst Johan Schoeman, left, and Michele Devlin, deputy prosecuting attorney, on Monday show the jury in Dennis Bauer’s murder trial the tarp that was wrapped around the body of victim Darrell Iverson. (Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News)
Eyewitness tells of role in killings

Defense attorney in Bauer trial focuses on inconsistencies

State Patrol Detective Michael Welander displays drone photographs from a triple-murder investigation from Jan. 1, 2019. (Rob Ollikainen/for Peninsula Daily News)
Trial for triple murder resumes

Attorneys show crime scene photos

Report: Woman fit for trial

Assessment says accused shooter Kay Ann Beebe can take part in defense

Port Angeles man sentenced to four years for child rape

Man says victims were his friends, then ‘they weren’t’

Defense questions witness testimony

Bauer’s attorney cross-examination expected to resume Monday

Murder witness account challenged

Bauer lawyer cross-examines

Sentenced murderer stays mum at trial

Triple-murderer Ryan Warren Ward appeared in Clallam County Superior… Continue reading

Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News
Accused triple-murderer Dennis Bauer reacts to the appearance of accused co-conspirator Ryan Ward in Clallam County Superior Court on Wednesday.
Murder witness takes stand

Woman says she was sexually assaulted