KELLOGG, Idaho — Thirteen mountain-bikers from the Olympic Peninsula competed in the fourth round of the Northwest Cup held at the Silver Mountain Ski Resort outside of Kellogg.
The top local riders in the June 22-24 event were Mathew Mangano of Port Angeles, who finished second in the Cat 2 15-18-year-old division, and Ron Riggs of Port Angeles, who finished third in the Cat 3 men’s 40+ division.
The Silver Mountain races were the fourth leg of the Northwest Cup. Two of the four races of the NW Cup were held outside of Port Angeles, with more races scheduled at Stevens Pass, McCall, Idaho, and Whitefish Mountain in Montana.
A trio of Port Angeles riders — Brian Campbell, James Alton and James Gardner — finished in the top seven of the Cat 2 Men’s 30-39 division.
Mangano missed finishing first by less than 1½ seconds.
Complete Olympic Peninsula finishers from Silver Mountain:
• Cat 3 Men’s 40+ — Ron Riggs, Port Angeles, third, 2:41.07; Shannon Mangano, PA, sixth, 2:50.84; Paul Brigandi, PA, 10th, 2:59.46.
• Cat 3 Boy’s 11-14 — Anthony Brigandi, PA, 17th, 3:30.97.
• Cat 2 Men’s 30-39 — Brian Campbell, PA, fifth, 2:40.64; James Alton, PA, sixth, 2:43.18; James Gardner, PA, seventh, 2:43.99; Leland Gibson, Port Townsend, 15th, 2:58.82.
• Cat 2 Men’s 40-49 — Dante Ruiz, PA, 12th, 4:07.22.
• Cat 2 Men’s 15-18 — Mathew Mangano, PA, second, 2:17.67; Talon Northern, PA, 13th, 2:34.87.