PORT ANGELES — A 1-acre wildfire west of Port Angeles that authorities believe was caused by an unattended campfire was extinguished by Clallam County Fire District No. 2 personnel Sunday evening, Fire Chief Sam Phillips said.
The blaze on state Department of Natural Resources land was reported to 9-1-1 at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Phillips said in a prepared statement.
The reporting person saw the smoke rising from a forested area off the Joyce-Piedmont access road north of U.S. Highway 101 near Lake Sutherland, Phillips said.
Fifteen Clallam Fire District No. 2 personnel responded, staffing three engines, two water tenders and three command vehicles.
County Joyce-area Fire District 4 sent a water tender and two firefighters.
The fire burned through timber, grass and brush in a former logging site about 1.5 miles up the Joyce Access Road.