PORT ANGELES — The city of Port Angeles Parks and Recreation department is preparing to host its inaugural Day of Play in honor of National Parks and Recreation Month.
The day-long event is set for July 28 and will be at various locations throughout the city.
“The idea behind it is to showcase the partnerships and collaborations the city has within the community and to provide recreational opportunities,” Corey Delikat, Parks and Recreation director, said in an email.
Entities participating in the event include the William Shore Memorial Pool, Feiro Marine Life Center, PA Likes Bikes, Lincoln Park BMX Association, Olympic Peninsula Rowing Club, Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, Port Angeles Disc Golf Association, Port Angeles Public Access TV and the Port Angeles Senior Center.
Activities include screenings of “Peter Rabbit” at Erickson Playfield, presentations at the Feiro Marine Life Center, Lefties baseball, a new rider clinic at the Lincoln Park BMX track and more.
Port Angeles Mayor Sissi Bruch said among the goals of the event is to help people realize the variety of activities available in Port Angeles.
It also allows kids to participate in a variety of activities for free, she said.
“I love the idea that it opens up all these different venues to kids for free,” Bruch said.
She and Delikat went to the Boys and Girls Club in Port Angeles on Friday to get the kids there excited about the event. They read a proclamation and handed out some “Day of Play” shirts to the kids.
She said the Boys and Girls Club will distribute shirts to the children. Any child that wears one of the shirts to the Lefties game at 6:35 p.m. that day will get in for free.
Bruch said she is excited to see people try new activities.
“It may help get out of that typical circle of activities and they can try something new,” she said. “I’m looking forward to myself trying a couple different activities.”
Bruch said that though it’s the first year of the event, she hopes to see it continue into the future.
She said there have already been learning experiences — such as needing to buy smaller shirts for kids — that will help the event in the future.
“I would really like to thank our Parks and Recreation staff for coming up with this idea and just trying it,” she said. “This is the first year and it will get better. I’m grateful they’re willing to try it and just go with it. We really have a wonderful staff.”
• Movie in the Park — Showings of “Peter Rabbit” from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Erickson Playfield.
• Dream Playground Survey — The city is asking for feedback on what the next generation of the Dream Playground should look like.
• Meet a Sea Creature — Presentations at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. at Feiro Marine Life Center.
• Lefties Baseball — The lefties take on the Walla Walla Sweets at 6:35 p.m. at Civic Field.
• Free New Rider Clinic — New riders can try out the newly renovated Lincoln Park BMX track from noon to 2 p.m. Wear long pants, sleeves and closed shoes.
• Rowing 101 Downstairs at The Landing mall — Join the Olympic Peninsula Rowing Association from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. to learn about rowing.
• Disc Golf — The Port Angeles Disc Golf Association will teach beginners disc golf from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lincoln Park.
• Scavenger Hunt Bike Ride — Meet at 9:45 a.m. in the parking lot next to Lincoln Park BMX track. Helmets required and goodies for riders at the end.
• Free Outdoor Theater — A production of Shakespeare in the Woods “As You Like It” at the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center. The pre-show starts at 6 p.m. The show starts at 6:30 p.m.
• Ice Cream Social — Ice cream sundaes at the Port Angeles Senior Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundaes are $5 and root beer floats are $2.
• Free Swim Day — Swimming will be free at William Shore Memorial Pool from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ice cream sandwiches served at noon.
Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at [email protected].