Friends, family remember Sequim attorney as family man, volunteer

PORT TOWNSEND — Friends and family of Sequim attorney Anthony “Tony” Mauhar, who died Monday at the Port Townsend Boat Haven, remembered this weekend a man who loved his children, the outdoors and community service.

“He was a good family man,” said longtime friend Steve Neuhauser. “He loved his kids. He loved to hunt. … He volunteered at community events. He really enjoyed that sort of thing.”

Mauhar had suffered a medical emergency, according to autopsy results released Friday. Jefferson County Coroner Michael Haas said that Mauhar, who lived in Port Townsend, died of saltwater drowning after he fell from his boat into the water.

He was 67. His next birthday would have been in October, said his daughter, Catelyn Mauhar of Longview.

“He was my best friend,” she said Friday. “He was a wonderful man … He was a great dad and fisherman.”

Arrangements will be made for a celebration of life, his daughter said.

Mauhar was an attorney in private practice in Sequim specializing in business law and estate planning.

Neuhauser, who lives in Bremerton, had known Mauhar for 44 years.

“Tony had lots of friends,”he said. “Tony was a special guy.”

The two attended Olympia College in Bremerton after both had served in the military, Mauhar in the Navy as a medic and Neuhauser in the Army. They struck up a lifelong friendship.

Mauhar — an avid fisherman and hunter — was an active member of the Coastal Conservation Association, which both friends belonged to, Neuhauser said.

He also was involved in Rotary Club and the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Olympic Peninsula, said family and friends.

“He was involved in the Boys & Girls Clubs from the beginning,” said another friend, Mike Nelson of Sequim, who added that Mauhar was a musician who played bass guitar in a band at one time.

Neuhauser said that Mauhar graduated from Western Washington University and received a law degree in Los Angeles.

A native of Wisconsin, he returned to live in Washington state to live, his friend said.

“He was in really good shape,” Neuhausen said. His death “was a shock to all of us.

Toxicology reports have not been finalized, but Haas said there is no indication of any toxins or drugs found in Mauhar’s body.

According to Port Townsend Sgt. Troy Surber, Mauhar was selling his boat that was moored at Boat Haven and had scheduled an appointment to show it.

The potential buyer arrived early for the appointment and did not find Mauhar aboard.

He returned 10 minutes later to find Mauhar in the water.

East Jefferson Fire Rescue and Port Townsend police were called to the scene and recovered the body.

His daughter said that in addition to her, Mauhar is survived by a son, Adam Mauhar who lives in La Center, and one grandchild.


Executive Editor Leah Leach can be reached at 360-417-3530 or at [email protected].

Jefferson County Editor/Reporter Jeannie McMacken can be reached at 360-385-2335 or at [email protected]

More in News

NEWS BRIEFS: Park staff will have a reception … and other items

AMANDA PARK —Sarah Creachbaum, Olympic National Park superintendent, and National Park Service… Continue reading

Port Angeles fundraiser to help bring monument to Forks VFW

Village Concepts of Port Angeles/Park View Villas will host… Continue reading

Port Angeles mom receives Unsung Hero Award

It’s just what she does, said Shelby Knudson Bell… Continue reading

Air ambulance to locate base at Port Angeles

An emergency air medical transport company serving Clallam and… Continue reading

Air medical transport service to set up base in Port Angeles

Life Flight Network to start local operations March 29

Most Read