East Jefferson Fire-Rescue firefighter Zach Dean pulls a hose off a fire truck as he arrives at the scene of a house fire in Port Townsend on Wednesday. (Jesse Major/Peninsula Daily News)

East Jefferson Fire-Rescue firefighter Zach Dean pulls a hose off a fire truck as he arrives at the scene of a house fire in Port Townsend on Wednesday. (Jesse Major/Peninsula Daily News)

Firefighters quickly put out blaze in Port Townsend

PORT TOWNSEND — East Jefferson Fire-Rescue firefighters quickly knocked down a structure fire in Port Townsend before it had a chance to cause much damage.

The fire in the upstairs unit at 1717 Gise St., which is used as an office area, was reported at about 10:49 p.m. Wednesday. No one was inside at the time. Other residents on the property said they called 9-1-1 emergency dispatchers after they noticed the fire.

Residents said the unit is mostly used as a storage and office space, though someone does live on the first floor.

“Fortunately the fire was fairly small so we were able to knock it down real quickly,” said EJFR spokesperson Bill Beezley.

Beezley said that a faulty extension cord caused the fire. There was some fire damage but not much smoke damage, he said.

In all, the fire likely caused less than $10,000 in damage, Beezley said.

At first firefighters believed the fire started because of an oil heater, but later determined the cause to be the extension cord that was plugged into it.

Beezley said the tenants in the downstairs unit needed to find another place to stay Wednesday night because of the water leaking from above.

“The crews were pretty circumspect in how much water they used, so they hopefully didn’t flood the place too badly,” he said.

“The important thing is saving the structure and sometimes there’s … damage that happens.”

Firefighters responded the same day to another fire on the 2000 block of Rosewood Street at about 2:22 p.m. after residents returned home to find their house filled with smoke and flames in the kitchen.

By the time firefighters arrived, the residents had put out the fire.

The fire was caused by a candle that had been left burning when the residents left.

________

Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at jmajor@peninsuladailynews.com.

A firefighter enters a smoky building after firefighters put out a house fire in Port Townsend on Wednesday. (Jesse Major/Peninsula Daily News)

A firefighter enters a smoky building after firefighters put out a house fire in Port Townsend on Wednesday. (Jesse Major/Peninsula Daily News)

More in News

Judge blasts lawyers in upholding $15M police shooting award

A federal judge has upheld a $15 million verdict against… Continue reading

Large carnivore conservation focus of AAUW program in Port Townsend

Guest speaker Lorna Smith will describe why education and… Continue reading

NEWS BRIEFS: Grief support groups set in Port Angeles … and other items

Volunteer Hospice of Clallam County announced its schedule for a series of… Continue reading

Pennies for Quarters signs contract on Port Angeles property

Pennies for Quarters, the brainchild of a former military… Continue reading

Brinnon Shrimpfest called off this year due to workloads, lack of volunteers

Brinnon’s annual Hood Canal Shrimpfest is canceled this year with… Continue reading

Quilcene Fair and Parade canceled this year

The annual Quilcene Fair and Parade is canceled this year… Continue reading

Kitchen as classroom: Quilcene pupils make meals from scratch for fellow students

Students at Quilcene School eat food prepared by their classmates… Continue reading

Highway 20 wreck sends two to Jefferson Healthcare hospital

Two people were transported to Jefferson Healthcare hospital with… Continue reading

Most Read