THE DEADLINE FOR nominations for the 2017 Jefferson County Heart of Service Award has been extended two weeks to Monday, April 3.
The annual awards, presented by the three Rotary Clubs in Jefferson County and the Peninsula Daily News, recognize the dedication, sacrifice and accomplishments of local people who do extraordinary things for their neighbors, their community or the environment. There are two categories for nominations, youth and adult.
The award — now in its 12th year — is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Port Townsend (noon club), the Port Townsend Sunrise Rotary Club, the East Jefferson Rotary Club and the PDN.
“This award gives us the opportunity to highlight the good works of ordinary people in Jefferson County who unselfishly give their time and energy to help others,” said Terry Ward, PDN publisher.
“These build community. They are truly local heroes, working to make life here better.”
How to nominate
• Nominations must be made using the accompanying coupon and must be submitted to the Peninsula Daily News’ Jefferson County office, 1939 E. Sims Way, Port Townsend, WA 98368, or online at www. peninsuladailynews.com/heart-service-nomination by 5 p.m. Monday, April 3.
• A letter describing the merits and accomplishments of the person being nominated must be included with the coupon.
It should cite examples of the individual’s special dedication, sacrifices and significant accomplishments in community service.
• If possible, the nomination should include supporting documents, such as copies (not originals) of other awards, newspaper articles or letters of support.
• Individuals, clubs, churches, businesses or other organizations may nominate.
But only individuals, not organizations, can be nominees.
• Anyone who lives in Jefferson County can be nominated.
Recipients of the Heart of Service in the past are not eligible for a 2017 award.
But those previously nominated but not selected for a Heart of Service are eligible for renomination.
A panel of judges will review the nominations and select one to six people to receive a Heart of Service award at a luncheon Tuesday, May 16.
If you have any questions about the program, please phone Ward at his direct number, 360-417-3500 (if he’s not in, leave a voice mail).
Or email Ward at [email protected]