LAKE CRESCENT — Clallam County Fire District No. 2 responded to a chlorine gas leak at a Crescent Water Association facility near Lake Crescent.
No injuries or exposures were reported in the Sunday incident.
Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue isolated the leak at 3909 E. Beach Road and blocked access to the area, Deputy Chief Jake Patterson said.
The gas was allowed to vent at the advice of the state Department of Ecology, Patterson said.
“There was no immediate threat to the safety of citizens due to the remote location of the facility and the amount of chlorine being released,” Patterson said in a news release.
“Personnel from Crescent Water Association monitored the situation overnight and made repairs early Monday morning.”
The cause of the leak was not immediately known.
Crescent Water Association personal responded to an alarm at the facility at 9:04 p.m. Sunday, Patterson said. They detected the odor of chlorine and could see vapor, Patterson said.
The facility is near the headwaters of the Lyre River.
Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue responded with a medic unit, fire engine, two command units and eight personnel.