Rothschild House State Park at at 418 Taylor St. will celebrate its 150th anniversary Saturday in Port Townsend.

Rothschild House State Park at at 418 Taylor St. will celebrate its 150th anniversary Saturday in Port Townsend.

Garden party planned for Rothschild House celebration

PORT TOWNSEND — The Jefferson County Historical Society invites the public to celebrate the 150th birthday of the historic Rothschild House at 418 Taylor St.

The historical society will host an open house and party in the Rothschild House Gardens from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, followed by docent tours from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Cake and punch will be served and there will be announcements about the society’s plans for the facility’s restoration over the next two years, including major improvements to the home’s foundation and windows.

Remarks from the descendants of the family and Washington State Parks will commence at 1:30 p.m., with encouragement to the community to help support the repainting of the home’s exterior.

The historical society asks that prospective attendees RSVP for the fete by calling 360-385-1003 or emailing [email protected].

Garden party attire will be encouraged and guests of all ages are welcome.

Parking at the house will be reserved for those who need added accessibility.

Ample street parking is available for others.

The historic house, managed by the historical society and owned by Washington State Parks, provides the Rothschild family story, as well as exhibits a window to Port Townsend’s early years.

Enterprising retailer D.C.H. Rothschild was born in Bavaria in 1824 and settled in Port Townsend in 1858. His business was called Kentucky Store and was later changed to Rothschild and Co. Mercantile, selling varied merchandise, according to the historical society website.

Rothschild had his family home built in 1868. His widow, Dorette, remained in the house until her death in 1918, allowing only minimal changes, such as the installation of a bathroom.

Her daughter lived there for nearly 78 years, until her death in 1954.

The house was occupied only by the Rothschild family. The last surviving member, Eugene, donated the house to the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission.

It opened to the public as a historic site in 1962, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

More in Entertainment

Registration still open for Saturday’s Railroad Bridge run/walk

Space is still available in the Railroad Bridge 5K/10K on… Continue reading

Singers in the Rain to perform for Candlelight Concert

Singers in the Rain, a men’s choral group, will… Continue reading

Makah weavers to tell of their art at Studium Generale

EDITOR’S NOTE: “Three Makah Weavers,” originally planned for Thursday was canceled due… Continue reading

PNW Trio to perform at college

Jennifer Nelson, Wendy Wilhelmi and Francine Peterson will perform… Continue reading

Easter egg hunts set today in Port Townsend

The oldest continuous Easter egg hunt on the Peninsula… Continue reading

Famed Montana poet to read his work in Port Townsend

Roger Dunsmore, a distinguished poet from Montana, will read… Continue reading

Internationally known guitarist to perform in Coyle

Guitarist Claude Bourbon will perform Middle Eastern and Spanish blues… Continue reading

Steelhead Review Series continues at ONRC Thursday

The 2019 Wild Steelhead Review Series will continue at 7… Continue reading

Most Read