Firefighters in Port Angeles and Sequim are collecting donations this Christmas season.
The Port Angeles Fire Department’s 33th annual Operation Candy Cane will begin Saturday and continue through Thursday.
Santa’s Toy and Food Fire Brigade — a partnership between Clallam County Fire District 3, Explorer Post 1003 and International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Local 2933 — will be from Tuesday through Friday, Dec. 8.
In Port Angeles, volunteers and paid firefighters will travel with Santa Claus beginning at 5:30 each evening on Sparky, a 1956 Seagrave fire engine, decorated in holiday lights.
Firefighters hand out candy canes to those who come out to meet them while collecting nonperishable food or money for the Port Angeles Food Bank in different Port Angeles neighborhoods.
Residents can listen for the siren to know when Santa and his helpers will be running alongside the engine collecting food and money and handing out candy canes.
The record amount of food collected was more than 13,000 pounds in 2011.
Here is the schedule:
• Saturday, west of I and M streets in west Port Angeles.
• Sunday, between I and L streets to C Street.
• Monday, C Street to Lincoln Street.
• Tuesday, Chase Street to Chambers Street.
• Wednesday, Jones Street to Golf Course Road.
• Thursday, above Lauridsen Boulevard.
In Sequim, Santa’s Toy and Food Fire Brigade will ride in a decorated 1939 antique fire engine from 5 to 9 each night.
Santa and his helpers will hand out candy canes as they collect food for the Sequim Food Bank and toys and blankets for Sequim Community Aid’s Toys for Sequim Kids event Dec. 13 at the Sequim Prairie Grange, 290 Macleay Road.
In 2016, Santa’s Toy and Food Fire Brigade collected about 1,200 pounds of food and $600 for the Sequim Food Bank.
For the effort’s eighth year, dates and locations are:
• Tuesday, downtown Sequim west of Sequim Avenue.
• Wednesday, downtown Sequim east of Sequim Avenue.
• Thursday, Emerald Highlands and Elk Creek Apartments.
• Friday, Dec. 8, Sunland and make-up day due to weather cancellations.