PORT ANGELES — The inaugural Day of Play on Saturday will showcase what Port Angeles has to offer.
The Port Angeles Parks and Recreation department will host the day in honor of National Parks and Recreation Month.
The day-long event will be at various locations throughout the city.
“The idea behind it is to showcase the partnerships and collaborations the city has within the community and to provide recreational opportunities,” Corey Delikat, Parks and Recreation director, said in an email.
Entities participating in the event include the William Shore Memorial Pool, Feiro Marine Life Center, PA Likes Bikes, Lincoln Park BMX Association, Olympic Peninsula Rowing Club, Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, Port Angeles Disc Golf Association, Port Angeles Public Access TV and the Port Angeles Senior Center.
Port Angeles Mayor Sissi Bruch said among the goals of the event is to help people realize the variety of activities available in Port Angeles.
It also allows kids to participate in a variety of activities for free, she said.
Clallam Transit will offer riders younger than 20 free transportation on routes 10-30 during the Day of Play. For more information, see www.clallam transit.com/.
• Movie in the Park — Showings of “Peter Rabbit” from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Erickson Playfield, Fourth and Race streets.
• Dream Playground Survey — Snacks will be offered at Erickson Playfield from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. while the city asks for feedback on what the next generation of the Dream Playground should look like.
• Meet a Sea Creature — Presentations at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. at Feiro Marine Life Center on City Pier.
• Lefties Baseball — The Lefties take on the Walla Walla Sweets at 6:35 p.m. at Civic Field on Race Street.
• Free New Rider Clinic — New riders can try out the newly renovated Lincoln Park BMX track from noon to 2 p.m. They are directed to wear long pants, sleeves and closed shoes.
• Rowing 101 downstairs at The Landing mall — The Olympic Peninsula Rowing Association will tell about rowing from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the mall at 115 E. Railroad Ave.
• Car show and family barbecue — Burgers, hot dogs, classic car show and live music from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Park View Villas, 1430 Park View Lane. Free admission.
• Disc Golf — The Port Angeles Disc Golf Association will teach beginners disc golf from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lincoln Park.
• Scavenger Hunt Bike Ride — Meet at 9:45 a.m. in the parking lot next to Lincoln Park BMX track for the ride from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.. Helmets are required and goodies are planned for riders at the end.
• Free Outdoor Theater — A production of Shakespeare in the Woods “As You Like It” at the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center. The pre-show starts at 6 p.m. The show starts at 6:30 p.m.
• Ice Cream Social — Ice cream sundaes at the Port Angeles Senior Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundaes are $5 and root beer floats are $2.
• Free Swim Day — Swimming will be free at William Shore Memorial Pool at 225 E. Fifth St., from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ice cream sandwiches will be served at noon.