SEQUIM — A Sequim man has been charged with first-degree kidnapping and second-degree robbery of another man.
Christopher Charles Cooper, 27, was charged Friday in Clallam County Superior Court.
He is accused of forcing a Sequim man to accompany him to a Spruce Street residence — threatening to kill him if he didn’t oblige — last Monday night.
Cooper allegedly took the man’s cellphone as they traveled and punched the alleged victim in the mouth when a third party confirmed that the alleged victim had been “talking s—-” about Cooper, according to the certification for probable cause.
Jerez Darren McGrew, 31, accompanied Cooper in the alleged kidnapping, Sequim police said.
McGrew was charged Friday with being an accomplice to first-degree kidnapping.
Both men will be arraigned in Superior Court this Friday.
The alleged victim told Sequim police that he encountered Cooper and McGrew at his cousin’s residence at the Elk Creek Apartments in Sequim.
When confronted, the man denied that he had spoken disparagingly about Cooper, police said.
Cooper became upset and demanded that they drive to the residence of a man who had reported that the alleged victim had insulted Cooper, Officer Anthony Bush wrote in the arrest report.
Cooper and McGrew allegedly attacked the man when he refused to leave the apartment, police said.
“Christopher told [the alleged victim], ‘If you don’t go with me then I’m going to end you,’ ” Bush wrote in his report.
“[The alleged victim] told me that he was genuinely afraid for his life.”
After being punched by Cooper, the man ran away and phoned his uncle, who subsequently called 9-1-1, Bush said.
Cooper was booked into the Clallam County jail last Tuesday.
Superior Court Judge Christopher Melly set Cooper’s bail at $75,000 at his initial court appearance Wednesday.
McGrew, who was arrested Thursday, is being held on $40,000 bail.
Melly signed no-contact orders protecting the alleged victim from Cooper and McGrew.
Defense attorney Stan Myers, who was appointed to Cooper’s defense Friday, requested a lower bail for his new client.
Clallam County Chief Criminal Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Michele Devlin, who had asked for a $150,000 bail for Cooper on Wednesday, objected to the request.
“I would just say the community safety concerns are still there, and having a no-contact-order piece of paper doesn’t seem to help, because Mr. Cooper already has a no- contact-order violation,” Devlin told the judge.
In addition to a no-contact-order violation, Cooper has had four arrest warrants since 2015, Devlin said.
Melly kept Cooper’s bail at $75,000 based on warrant history, the no-contact-order violation and the seriousness of the alleged offenses.
“All that came into play with regard to the setting of the bail,” Melly said.
“I’m not inclined to modify the bail at this point.”
Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected].