Port Angeles man’s child rape trial moved to January

PORT ANGELES — A trial for alleged child rapist Donald William Kingsley has been moved to January.

Kingsley, 30, of Port Angeles is charged with single counts of first-degree child rape and first-degree child molestation for allegedly raping and molesting an 8-year-old girl in August.

His trial was moved Friday from Nov. 13 to Jan. 22 at the request of defense attorney John Hayden of Clallam Public Defender.

Hayden requested the continuance after speaking with his client.

Evidence from the case had been sent to a State Patrol crime lab for testing, Clallam County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Sarah Woolman said.

“They don’t have any sort of indication at this point of when we will have those [results],” Woolman told Superior Court Judge Brian Coughenour on Friday.

Coughenour scheduled a status hearing for Dec. 1.

“And then hopefully I should know if there’s anything coming from the crime lab,” Woolman said.

The Friday hearing had been continued one week to allow the defense to review a plea offer. The plea offer was not discussed in court Friday.

Kingsley is being held in the Clallam County jail on $100,000 bail.

He has maintained his innocence.

Kingsley was arrested Sept. 7 after police listened to a recorded conversation between Kingsley and the alleged victim’s father, according to the probable cause statement.

Each charge against Kingsley carried a special allegation that he used his “position of trust, confidence, or fiduciary responsibility” to commit the alleged crimes.

The special allegations could lengthen Kingsley’s prison term if he were to be convicted.

The jury trial is scheduled for three to four days.

________

Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected].