PORT ANGELES — A Port Angeles man who was featured on Q13 Fox’s “Washington’s Most Wanted” was sentenced Wednesday to almost 10 years in prison for more than a dozen burglary-, theft- and firearm-related charges.
Jonathan Wayne Heckathorn, 25, accepted a plea agreement in Clallam County Superior Court on Wednesday. The agreement dismissed 21 of his 35 charges.
He pleaded guilty to three counts of residential burglary, two counts of first-degree theft, two counts of second-degree identity theft, two counts of second-degree theft, bail jumping, third-degree malicious mischief, second-degree malicious mischief, first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm and theft of a motor vehicle.
“After you get past a certain number, it all becomes a blur,” Superior Court Judge Christopher Melly told Heckathorn. “You’re a one-person crime wave in Clallam County and the surrounding community.”
Melly sentenced Heckathorn to 116 months in prison, half a year longer than what prosecutors recommended.
If the law allowed, Melly said, he would have given Heckathorn a stiffer sentence.
“If there were more, the court would impose it,” Melly said. “Your behavior justifies it.”
Melly told Heckathorn the damage he has caused goes further than the cost to replace the things he stole.
“These folks are going to live with the damage that you have done to them until the day they die,” Melly said. “They are going to be looking over their shoulder. You have damaged them irreparably.”
One victim told police that Heckathorn had made “ongoing death threats” against her, according to court records. She told police that Heckathorn followed her near Port Angeles City Hall and said he’d shoot her if she didn’t talk to him, records say.
When that incident was mentioned in court, Heckathorn shook his head, leaned back in his chair and said nothing to the court.
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney April King told Melly the plea agreement holds Heckathorn accountable for his offenses and allows victims not to have to appear in court.
Heckathorn’s offender score jumped from 3 to 17 after the conviction, meaning “from here on out, he cannot commit any kind of offense without facing a prison term,” King said. “He’s kind of done.”
King told the court the recommended sentence will give the community “a break” from Heckathorn and that she hopes Heckathorn reflects on the lives he has affected while he is in prison.
“I hope Mr. Heckathorn does learn from this,” she said.
Alex Stalker, Heckathorn’s attorney, said prosecutors could have proved a number of the charges “without question” but said other charges were a significant stretch.
Stalker said the agreement was fair, even though it involves a substantial sentence.
“Given the circumstances, it’s probably appropriate,” he said.
The amount of restitution has yet to be decided, but Stalker said he anticipates Heckathorn will be paying for quite awhile.
Heckathorn is required to to pay restitution on all the charges, even the 21 that were dismissed.
“It is something I anticipate Mr. Heckathorn will be paying off for the rest of his life, unless he wins the lottery,” Stalker said.
Heckathorn had been featured on the Q13 Fox television show “Washington’s Most Wanted” before he was arrested this spring.
Heckathorn was previously convicted of residential burglary, theft of a firearm and first-degree trafficking in stolen property.
Heckathorn said little during court but did comment on the sentence he was facing.
“I’ll make the best of it, I guess,” he said.
Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.