Joseph Warren Recoy, 24, is escorted into Clallam County Superior Court last month. (Jesse Major/Peninsula Daily News)

Man sentenced for stabbing in Port Angeles grocery parking lot

PORT ANGELES — A Port Angeles man who stabbed a man at a grocery store parking lot in July pleaded guilty and was sentenced for second-degree assault.

Joseph Warren Recoy, 24, was sentenced Thursday to two years in prison and 18 months of community custody for stabbing Nicholas Johnson, 28, on July 10, according to court records.

Recoy jabbed Johnson in the abdomen with his knife and ran, according to a police report. When questioned by police, Johnson admitted to the stabbing at the Safeway on Lincoln Street in Port Angeles.

“I’ve never had to hurt someone like that,” Recoy told police, according to the report. “Honestly, I don’t feel bad that I did it; I feel bad that it had to happen.”

Police said at the time that there had been “some sort of argument” between the two men.

Recoy was charged in July with second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, with a deadly weapon enhancement, but the enhancement was removed in the plea agreement.

Letter to court

In a letter to the court, Johnson wrote that he escaped death 10 years ago after a fatal wreck, and he escaped death again in the July stabbing.

Johnson wrote that nobody deserves such a life-changing injury and that Recoy’s intention was to kill him.

“He even said to me ‘I’ll stab you, I’ll kill you,’ ” Johnson wrote.

He wrote that Recoy should have faced a stiffer sentence.

“Due to that attempt of murder, the perp will only receive … two years in prison and a 10 year no-contact order,” Johnson wrote. “Come on now, it should be the other way around.”

Recoy has previously been convicted of child molestation, two counts of failure to register as a sex offender and bail jumping.

________

Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at jmajor@peninsula dailynews.com.

More in Crime

Forks jail procedures under review after escape

Forks jail staffing and procedures are being reviewed after two… Continue reading

UPDATE: Second escaped Forks inmate now in custody; first found dead of apparent suicide

Boe James Baker and Alejandro Cendejas-Montoya allegedly assaulted a female guard in the jail break.

Trial date set for son accused of killing father in Port Angeles

Shay Clinton Darrow is competent to stand trial for… Continue reading

Port Angeles man arrested after reported road rage

A Port Angeles motorist arrested Saturday for allegedly pointing… Continue reading

Bonner arraignment postponed until Jan. 12 for mental health evaluation

An arraignment for Benjamin George Bonner was continued Friday… Continue reading

Burglaries investigated in Port Angeles, Forks

Business burglaries in downtown areas of Port Angeles and Forks had police… Continue reading