Agnew man convicted after trial

PORT ANGELES — An Agnew man has been convicted of illegally possessing a firearm, heroin and suboxone, the Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office announced.

Andrew Donald Luquette, 34, was convicted Friday after a five-day jury trial in Clallam County Superior Court.

He will be sentenced Jan. 9 on one count of first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm and two counts of unlawful possession of a controlled substance, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Steve Johnson said in a news release.

The Clallam County Sheriff’s Office obtained a search warrant last July 28 to search Luquette’s Heuhslein Road residence for a digital video recorder that had been taken from Agnew Grocery and Feed convenience store July 23 or July 24.

Luquette, who had nine previous felony convictions, had a warrant for his arrest, Johnson said.

Detective Sgt. Eric Munger and Detective Sgt. John Keegan found Luquette in a bedroom in a corner of the garage at 191 Heuhslein Road.

Deputies found the camera that had been taken from Agnew Grocery and a 12-gauge shotgun wedged between the mattress where Luquette had been sitting, Detective Sgt. Brian Knutson said in the affidavit for probable cause.

“Also located in Luquette’s bedroom were several used syringes located near Luquette’s bed, a digital scale, a round black rubber container with a small amount of suspected heroin and a plastic baggie containing what appeared to be suboxone strips,” Knutson said.

The suspected suboxone strips had ‘N8’ inscribed on them consistent with suboxone labeling, Knutson said.

A field test revealed that the suspected heroin was indeed heroin, Knutson said in the arrest report.

Luquette told investigators that another man had brought the shotgun into his bedroom.

“Luquette later conceded that he knew the shotgun was under his bed at some point,” Knutson said in the arrest narrative.

“Luquette acknowledged that he knew he was not supposed to be in possession of firearms because of previous felony convictions.”

He was not charged with the burglary.

Luquette’s presumptive sentencing range has not been determined, Johnson said.

________

Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected].

More in Crime

Charges dismissed in 40-year-old Port Angeles murder case

A judge’s ruling in favor of dismissing charges against… Continue reading

Woman accused of embezzlement from the Sequim VFW in jail again

A 31-year-old woman accused of embezzling nearly $10,000 from… Continue reading

This 2018 booking photo provided by the Arizona Department of Corrections shows Kitage Lynch. Whether Lynch, imprisoned for attacking police officers in metro Phoenix, will eventually stand trial in three killings in rural western Arizona is uncertain after a judge dismissed the triple-homicide case while chastising prosecutors for being unprepared. Judge Matthew Newman’s recent order said he dismissed the triple-homicide case in La Paz County against Lynch because prosecutors failed to have DNA evidence tested and prepare for trial while Lynch awaits trial in Maricopa County. (Arizona Department of Corrections via AP)
Next step unclear after triple charges dismissed

Whether a man already sentenced to prison… Continue reading

Stolen law enforcement guns recovered

Two department-issued Glock handguns stolen from the home of… Continue reading

Sequim man accusd of fourth drunk driving offense

A Sequim man has been charged with his fourth… Continue reading

Port Angeles men accused in federal court of series of crimes

Two Port Angeles men accused of burglarizing Olympic National Park… Continue reading

Sequim man could see fifth DUI charge in less than 10 years

A 26-year-old Sequim man is facing what could be… Continue reading