Linnea Patrick

BACK WHEN: Port Townsend celebrates exploration, naming of town by Capt. George Vancouver

CAPT. GEORGE VANCOUVER wrote this about the work he and his crew did May 8, 1792: “The survey of this inlet, which had occupied our… Continue reading

 

BACK WHEN: Opium use rages in 19th century Port Townsend

IT MIGHT SEEM surprising that in late 19th century Jefferson County, as well as in the rest of the United States, buying, possessing and using… Continue reading

 

BACK WHEN: The history of the historians of Jefferson County: Part III

EDITOR’S NOTE: This month’s Jefferson County history column is the third in a series of three about local history resources in the county. Last month’s… Continue reading

 

BACK WHEN: The history of the historians of Jefferson County: Part II

EDITOR’S NOTE: This month’s Jefferson County history column is the second in a series of three about local history resources in the county. Last month’s… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The history of the historians of Jefferson County: Part I

EDITOR’S NOTE: This month’s Jefferson County history column is the first in a series of three about local history resources in the county. This month… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Contagious diseases affect Jefferson County

THE JEFFERSON COUNTY Historical Society Research Center recently added a donation of scrapbooks containing clippings on the variety of community health and safety issues that… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The life and death of Dr. Minor

AN 1889, THANKSGIVING weekend duck hunting trip on Camano and Whidbey islands proved fatal for three men, two of whom had played major roles as… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The Beecher saga concludes

CAPT. HERBERT AND Hattie Beecher’s older daughter, Mary Eunice, first married when she was 18 years old, in 1902, to Roscoe Herman Susmann, a young… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The Beechers continue life in Port Townsend

THE BEECHER FAMILY continued to live in their Walker Street home in Port Townsend for at least part of each year through about 1917. The… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Beecher brings art to the frontier

“ONCE UPON A time in Washington, one woman’s brilliance with a brush brought art to the frontier.” This was the introductory line in a December… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: How the Beechers arrived in Port Townsend

A MARCH 15, 1900, Morning Leader article, filed in the Jefferson County Historical Society Research Center Obituary notebook, is titled “Two Beechers Pass Away.” The… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: How Capt. Morgan helped shape Port Townsend

MORGAN HILL IN Port Townsend is named for the man who was one of the city’s earliest property developers, Capt. Henry E. Morgan. Between 1858,… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The lives, deaths of Dosewallips settlers

ACROSS THE DOSEWALLIPS River from one another, just beyond the bridge, were the homes of Capt. Samuel Clements and his brother, John. Lillie Christiansen told… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Memories of the Dosewallips found in memoirs

IN HER LATER years, Lillie Christiansen wrote a letter to Ida Bailey in Brinnon describing some of the homesteaders living along the Dosewallips River whom… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Brinnon becomes a community

THE COMMUNITY OF Brinnon in Jefferson County was slower to develop than settlements farther north. Although Elwell P. Brinnon had staked his claim at the… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: St. John’s Hospital is worth noting

LISTS OF SIGNIFICANT buildings erected during Port Townsend’s 1888-91 building boom often omit St. John’s ­Hospital. Unlike the downtown brick and stone structures of that… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Josephine Yarr transitions into dairy farmer

WHEN 48-YEAR-OLD JOSEPHINE Yarr returned to the family dairy farm in Chimacum in mid-1952, a few months after her brother Ned’s death, she was faced… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The early years of Josephine Yarr

ON THE EVE of her 100th birthday, when a Port Townsend Leader reporter asked Chimacum’s Josephine Yarr what she would change if she could live… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: William A. Bugge: Local Boy Makes Good

IN 1977, THE Hood Canal Bridge, which had opened in August 1961, was renamed the William A. Bugge Hood Canal Bridge, in honor of William… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: The Pluts move to Port Townsend

Doctor Harry and Dorothy Plut closed their medical clinic in Port Ludlow and moved to Port Townsend in March 1936.