Alice Alexander

BACK WHEN: The history of Neah Bay is remembered

ONLY ONE OR two readers responded to the March picture from the past. It is a 1907 view of Neah Bay village and its fishing… Continue reading

 

BACK WHEN: A look at life at the Port Angeles Pilot Station

THERE WERE NO responses to the March picture from the past. The photo was the Port Angeles Pilot Station at Ediz Hook taken in the… Continue reading

 

BACK WHEN: Chick’s Marina, other businesses remembered

THE FEBRUARY PICTURE of the past received many responses last month. Most of the comments were about Chick’s Marina, which was 127 W. First St.… Continue reading

 

The cabins at Log Cabin Resort, shown here sometime between 1943 and 1957. (Hansen Collection)

BACK WHEN: Former Log Cabin Resort structures recognized

QUITE A FEW people commented about the January photo from the past but only a few of them recognized the cabins as belonging to the… Continue reading

The cabins at Log Cabin Resort, shown here sometime between 1943 and 1957. (Hansen Collection)

BACK WHEN: Few readers share memories of Port Angeles bank

ONLY FOUR PEOPLE responded to the December “picture from the past” although I know many others recognized this famous bank. It was Olympic State Bank… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Readers share memories of Hay’s Farm

THERE WERE LOTS of responses to the November picture from the past and although two people thought it was somewhere else, most readers recognized it… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Olympic Laundry is in 94th year in Port Angeles

THERE HAVE BEEN laundries in this town since 1896, but the Olympic Laundry has been here since 1924. According to a paper written by Anastasia… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Memories of Port Angeles grocery store shared

SEVERAL PEOPLE RECOGNIZED the Lindberg Open Air Market at Fourth and Lincoln streets in Port Angeles from the September picture of the month. Judi Lindberg… Continue reading

Former bowling alley now a music store

SEVERAL PEOPLE RECOGNIZED the August picture from the past as the East First building that once housed Port Angeles Recreation, which was home to a… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Music center, and its teacher, remembered fondly

SEVERAL PEOPLE RECOGNIZED the July picture from the past as Smock Music Center at 625 E. Front St. The building was built in 1929, but… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Port Angeles residents share memories of now-vacant building

SEVERAL PEOPLE RECOGNIZED the June picture from the past as the old Salvation Army building on Front Street near Lincoln Street. The old brick building… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Lincoln Street buildings come and go

A FEW READERS recognized the Arctic Meat Market in the May photo of the month. The photo shows Arden Farms and the Arctic Meat Market… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: April mystery photo eludes Clallam community

NO ONE RECOGNIZED the April Picture from the Past. There were several guesses that it might be Camp Hayden, but it is the Makah Air… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Former Silver Sands Resort remembered fondly

THERE WERE MANY people who recognized the March picture from the past as the Silver Sands Resort at the corner of Whitefeather and West Sequim… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Readers remember Fairview Grocery

THERE WERE SEVERAL responses to the February picture from the past, which was the Fairview Grocery and Service Station. The store was at the corner… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Few share memories of the ‘Hardware Dress’

THREE PEOPLE RESPONDED to the January “Photo from the Past,” which was the Hardware Dress, made to advertise Willson Hardware. R.D. Willson established Willson Hardware… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Readers share memories of smelt dipping

MANY READERS COMMENTED on the December “Picture from the Past” and they all knew that the people in the photo were smelt dipping. The area… Continue reading

Blackout ordered after attack

Like most of the U.S. mainland on Dec. 7, 1941, Port Angeles was left in the dark by the authorities. Officials wanted… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: Memories sparse for old Rayonier Mill clock

NO ONE RECOGNIZED the October “Picture from the Past” as the old Rayonier Mill clock, so I started calling those who had worked at the… Continue reading

BACK WHEN: How a Sequim church transformed into a playhouse

SEVERAL PEOPLE RECOGNIZED the October Picture from the Past as the old Methodist Church on Sequim Avenue and Fir Street. The photo was taken sometime… Continue reading