Confirmed: No public fireworks display in Port Townsend this Fourth of July
By Michael Carman
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
Coroner: Port Angeles man killed in tractor-trailer crash on state Highway 104 died from head, neck injuries
UPDATED — Port Angeles man killed in tractor-trailer crash on state Highway 104 near Hood Canal Bridge
A private effort by Port Townsend pyrotechnist John Eissinger to solicit donations to fund the $10,000 cost of the show fell short.
Eissinger, who has volunteered to oversee the display since 2001 — first as a member of Port Townsend Sunrise Rotary Club and the past two years for the city of Port Townsend — attempted to raise funds from larger, corporate sponsors this year.
An attempt to collect smaller, individual donations from community members was deemed “too labor-intensive” with Eissinger citing past experience with yearlong Rotary efforts.
The city of Port Townsend dropped funding for the display earlier this year, with City Manager David Timmons citing the city’s declining revenue and rising expenses.
“This wasn’t a priority for us,” Timmons told the Peninsula Daily News in March.
At that time, Timmons said the fireworks’ cost of $10,000 “could easily double” considering the potential for police overtime or other expenses.
Eissinger is optimistic the show will return in 2014.
“I have some leads for next year and will really work to have a show in 2014,” Eissinger said.
For more information about donations, email email@example.com or phone 360-301-2378.
Last modified: June 28. 2013 11:07AM