Hearing on bulldozer rampage charges moved to July 19
Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News
Barry Swegle of Port Angeles appears in Clallam County Superior Court last Friday. He remains in jail on $1 million bond.
By Jeremy Schwartz
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
Biggest and brightest: Where to see the best holiday lights on the North Olympic Peninsula [with a photo sampler]
Suspected pipe bomb and theft investigation leads to arrest of Port Townsend man already charged in separate burglary
Barry Swegle, 51, is expected to be back in court July 19 although John Troberg, the Clallam County deputy prosecuting attorney assigned to the case, requested Friday that the hearing be moved to July 5.
Karen Unger, Swegle's attorney, told the court Friday that July 19 was the earliest she could appear for the status hearing, a date to which Troberg and presiding Judge George Wood agreed.
Swegle, who remains in the Clallam County jail on
$1 million bond, pleaded not guilty last month to one count of first-degree assault with a deadly weapon, four counts of first-degree burglary with a deadly weapon — “to wit, a bulldozer” — and four counts of first-degree malicious mischief.
The charges stem from the damage wrought when Swegle allegedly drove a bulldozer he owned through multiple properties near the intersection of North Baker Street and East Pioneer Road in Gales Addition just east of Port Angeles the morning of May 10.
Swegle allegedly damaged four homes; destroyed a pickup truck, several outbuildings and boat; and knocked over a power pole, cutting power to an estimated thousands for a few hours.
Authorities said that Swegle had had a long-running property dispute with a neighbor.
After about 10 minutes on his bulldozer, Swegle surrendered without incident to Clallam County sheriff's deputies.
Reporter Jeremy Schwartz can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5074, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified: June 16. 2013 6:33PM