Peninsula Daily News
Want more top stories? Sign up here for daily or weekly newsletters with our top news.
According to an East Jefferson Fire-Rescue news release, workers on board the Wild Wind were welding in a forward cabin at the main deck level Monday afternoon when sparks flew down a chimney-like shaft and ignited combustible material below.
The workers used a garden hose in an attempt to put out the fire but were unsuccessful.
In the meantime, workers on a nearby boat called 9-1-1, and firefighters from East Jefferson Fire-Rescue, Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue and Naval Magazine Indian Island responded to the call.
After ensuring that all workers were accounted for, firefighters began an offensive attack on the fire, which they said was a difficult process because of the tight quarters on the 70-foot vessel.
The fire was brought under control within an hour, and the boat was turned over to the workers.
The owner of the vessel was contacted by telephone and was returning to Port Townsend from Seattle.
There were no injuries reported.