JOHN NELSON'S LIVE MUSIC COLUMN: Need a gift? Then give a night out
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
Need a last-minute gift idea? Make up a coupon that can be redeemed for an evening of live music and/or dance at a favorite night spot!
Here's a list of some places, followed by a list of New Year's Eve events.
• The Junction Roadhouse, junction of U.S. Highway 101 and state Highway 112 five miles west of Port Angeles, has Barry Burnett doing his Sunday Jam from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
On Wednesday, Jason and friends play roots music and more from 6:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
• Chuck Grall and the Sounddogs will feature local country icon Denny Secord Jr. on Monday at Smuggler's Landing, 115 Railroad Ave., from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• On Wednesday, Howly Slim, vocal and guitar, is at Kokopelli's Underground, 203 E. Front St., for your dining pleasure at 6 p.m.
• Every Tuesday evening at the Port Angeles Senior Center, Seventh and Peabody streets, the Port Angeles Senior Swingers presents Wally and the Boys playing ballroom dance favorites for the dancing pleasure of all seniors 45 years and older from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. $5 cover; first-timers free!
• On Wednesday at Dupuis Restaurant, 256861 U.S. Highway 101, Bob and Dave play blues with a brew and barbecue from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• Victor Reventlow hosts the acoustic jam at the Fairmount Restaurant, on U.S Highway 101 west of Port Angeles, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. every Tuesday. Don't be left out!
Sequim and Blyn
• On Monday at the Oasis Sports Bar and Grill, 301 E. Washington St., dance to Mary Lou Montgomery and Nostalgia from 5:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.
On Wednesday, join Jubilee for a trip into the past from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• At The Buzz, 128 N. Sequim Ave., Kelly Thomas and Victor Reventlow host the very popular and rousing open mic Wednesday from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
• On Saturday (Christmas Day), join Howly Slim at Las Palomas Mexican Restaurant, 1085 E. Washington St., at 5:30 p.m. -- perhaps to relax after a hectic day?
• On Friday (Christmas Eve), join Jimmy Hoffman and Buck Ellard for an evening of music at Stymie's Bar & Grill at Cedars at Dungeness, 1965 Woodcock Road, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• On Friday, Club Seven Lounge at 7 Cedars Casino, Blyn, has Sarah Shea and Chez Jazz for an evening of jazz and dancing from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
On Sunday, enjoy dancing to the Stardust Big Band with guest vocalist Jenny Davis from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
• Tonight at The Upstage, 923 Washington St., the Steve Grandinetti Band will be performing all original music from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. $3 cover; all ages welcome.
Phone 360-385-2216 for reservations.
• On Friday at the Uptown Pub, 1016 Lawrence St., Sylvia Heins will treat you to some jazz standards at 5 p.m.
NEW YEAR'S EVE PARTY LIST
• The Junction Roadhouse, junction of U.S. Highway 101 and state Highway 112 five miles west of Port Angeles: Deadwood Revival, roots, rock and a fun time SEmD goodies, champagne, favors SEmD from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. $15 single, $25 couple. Phone 360-452-9880 for reservations. Phone 360-460-7131 for All Points Charters & Tours shuttles to and from beginning after 7 p.m. and until closing.
• Castaways Restaurant and Night Club, 1213 Marine Drive: Spence Brothers Band, classic rock, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Appetizers, prizes. $5 cover.
• Elks Club, 131 E. First St.: Hilda's Hope for Life Orphan Benefit dinner buffet, raffle, silent auction, champagne; Big Fine Daddies classic rock. 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. $65 per person, $480 per table.
• Eagles Aerie 483, 110 Penn St.: Last big party in this building, with Jimmy Hoffman Band, country rock, 8 p.m. to midnight. Appetizers, favors. $15 advance, $20 at door.
• Rick's Place, 102 W. Front St.: Final App-roach, boomer music, 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• Bushwhacker Restaurant, 1527 E. First St.: Prun'd, classic rock, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Sequim and Blyn
• Oasis Bar and Grill, 301 E. Washington St.: George Snyder's Oly Jazz Band, big-band music, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Favors, champagne. $5 cover.
• Old Mill Cafe, 721 Carlsborg Road: John Erskine, piano jazz, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Phone 360-582-1583; dinner reservations suggested.
• 7 Cedars Casino, Blyn: At Club Seven, Kate Lily, vocals, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Pop Culture, rock and roll, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
At the Events Center, Stardust Big Band with vocalist Katie Paige, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
• The Upstage, 923 Washington St.: Mark Dufresne Band, blues, 8 p.m. to midnight. Dinner package with favors, prizes, champagne. $25 per person.
• Castle Key, Seventh and Sheridan streets: Ricky Kelly, jazz, 8:30 p.m. to midnight. $8 cover.
• Quimper Grange, 1219 Corona St.: Ragged Mountain, square dance with caller Tim Jenkins. Suggested donation: $6.
John Nelson is a self-styled music lover and compulsive night owl who believes in SDLqKLMA -- Keep Live Music Alive" on the North Olympic Peninsula. His column, Live Music, appears every Thursday.
Are you performing in or promoting a live music gig? Contact John by phoning 360-565-1139 or e-mailing email@example.com (subject line: John Nelson).
Also, check out "Nightlife," a listing of entertainment at nightspots across the Peninsula, in Friday's Peninsula Spotlight magazine.
Last modified: December 22. 2010 10:22PM