Port Angeles celebration of 'Sluicing the Hogback' continues today (Sunday)
Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News
Port Angeles City Councilwoman Cherie Kidd, right, leads a group on a tour of historic locations in downtown Port Angeles on Saturday during a celebration of the 100th anniversary of “Sluicing the Hogback,” the effort to raise street level in the downtown area by flowing mud from a nearby hillside and building shops upward. The anniversary celebration continues today with additional tours, a vintage car show, silent movie showings and a plaque dedication.
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
High-pressure hoses were used to wash soil from the hill behind the present Red Lion Hotel into forms on each side of First, Front, Oak and Laurel streets to raise the streets above the high-tide line.
That allowed the city's first sewer system to be laid atop the original streets and covered by the soil layer.
It also created basements that once had been first stories.
The Port Angeles Underground will be on the historic tours planned today.
Today marks a century since the project was completed June 22, 1914. To commemorate it, a plaque will be dedicated at The Gateway transit center.
The celebration began Saturday. Here is today's schedule
■ 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. — Historic downtown tours at The Landing mall atrium, 115 E. Railroad Ave. The cost is $10 for seniors and students, $8 for children ages 6-12. Children younger than 6 are admitted free.
■ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Antique car show at The Gateway transit center, Front and Lincoln streets. Admission is free.
■ 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Charlie Chaplin silent films at Studio Bob, 118½ E. Front St. Admission is free.
■ 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Clallam County Genealogical Society free family tree research at The Beanery, 116 E. Front St.
■ 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. — “1914: The Year of Prosperity” display at the Museum at Carnegie, 207 S. Lincoln St. Admission is by donation.
■ 1 p.m. — Historic marker dedication and proclamation, The Gateway pavilion, Front and Lincoln streets.
Last modified: June 21. 2014 5:37PM