Events to mark Port Angeles' 'Sluicing the Hogback' on Saturday, Sunday
Construction in the raising of downtown Port Angeles is shown in this century-old photograph of Front Street.
Water cascades from the top of concrete walls that contained the mud to raise the levels of downtown Port Angeles streets in this 1914 photo of Front Street. A ditch dug underneath the boardwalk-style sidewalks kept pedestrians dry and directed the water into Port Angeles Harbor.
Workers stand at the base of the Hogback — the hill behind the Red Lion Hotel along Front Street — where dirt was sluiced through a series of pipes to First, Front, Oak and Laurel streets in Port Angeles to raise the level of the streets above sea level.
By Arwyn Rice
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
Port Angeles man sentenced for animal cruelty after sheriff's office says starved pit bulls found on his property; dogs now doing well
Port Angeles man sentenced for animal cruelty after starved pit bulls found on his property; dogs now doing well
Myriad events fete 'sluicing of Hogback'PORT ANGELES — It's been a century since soil was washed down to form the present street level of downtown Port Angeles.
“Sluicing the Hogback's” 100th anniversary will be celebrated Saturday and Sunday.
Here is the schedule:
■ 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Historic downtown tours begin at The Landing mall atrium, 115 E. Railroad Ave. The cost is $10 for seniors and students, $8 for children ages 6-12. Children younger than 6 are admitted free.
■ 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Clallam County Genealogical Society free family tree research assistance at The Beanery, 116 E. Front St.
■ Noon to 4 p.m. — “1914: The Year of Prosperity” display at the Museum at Carnegie, 207 S. Lincoln St. Entry is by donation.
■ 1:30 p.m. — Clallam County Courthouse historical clocktower tour, 223 E. Fourth St. Enter via the Lincoln Street entrance. Free.
■ 5 p.m. — Smugglers Landing old-time barbecue, The Landing mall. Tickets are $5.
■ 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. — Historic downtown tours at The Landing mall atrium.
■ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Antique car show at The Gateway transit center, Front and Lincoln streets. Admission is free.
■ 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Charlie Chaplin silent films at Studio Bob, 118½ E. Front St. Admission is free.
■ 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Clallam County Genealogical Society family tree research at The Beanery.
■ 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. — “1914: The Year of Prosperity” display at the Museum at Carnegie.
■ 1 p.m. — Historic marker dedication and proclamation, The Gateway pavilion.
Peninsula Daily News
Activities are planned downtown from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Tours of historical locations with historical re-enactors, historical displays, an antique car show, a barbecue and silent films will be offered, and a commemorative plaque will be dedicated Sunday.
The event is organized by the Port Angeles Downtown Association and Heritage Tours.
In 1914, the City Council decided to raise the downtown area, which was plagued with flooding and raw sewage, above mud flats, where many of the buildings were constructed on piers and docks.
Sluicing the Hogback, which was completed June 22, 1914, was the city's answer to flooding.
A mural depicting the event is prominently located at 101 E. First St., across from the Conrad Dyar Memorial Fountain.
In six months, four streets — Front, First, Oak and Laurel — were raised as much as 15 feet, kicking off a flurry of construction and improvements that eventually built the downtown area that exists today, said Don Perry, local historian and owner of Heritage Tours, which explores historic Port Angeles.
Roads were raised by sluicing soil through pipes from the Hogback — the hill behind the Red Lion Hotel — down to a channel built between huge cement retaining walls, Perry said.
Those walls can still be seen in the gaps between buildings in the downtown area.
Only seven buildings that were completed in 1914 still exist.
The remaining buildings have been torn down and replaced with new structures built to the new street level, according to city historical records.
The gaps between the road, raised buildings and original ground level have left open spaces underneath the downtown area, now known as the Port Angeles Underground.
Tours with costumed re-enactors of historic downtown buildings, the Port Angeles Underground and portions of the retaining walls that still support the city streets today will be offered all day Saturday.
Two tours are planned Sunday morning.
All begin at The Landing mall, 115 E. Railroad Ave.
A free tour of the Clallam County Courthouse clocktower, just south of downtown on Lincoln Street, will be offered Saturday, and a free antique car show will be at The Gateway transit center lanes Sunday.
Last modified: June 19. 2014 8:01PM