Small fire causes afternoon evacuation at Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center
Click here to zoom...
Patrick Young/Clallam Fire District No. 3
Firefighters with Clallam Fire District No. 3 survey the minor damage caused by a fan fire Monday afternoon at Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center.

Peninsula Daily News

SEQUIM — A malfunctioning fan caught fire at Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center on Monday afternoon, causing minor damage and forcing a brief evacuation of the facility.

Clallam Fire District No. 3 responded to the center at 2:46 p.m. for the report of a fire in the pool area, according to Fire District Public Information Officer Patrick Young.

Eight firefighters responded in an engine and a ladder truck to discover that a wall fan used to circulate air in the pool area had malfunctioned and caught fire.

Staff members at the center had used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, which scorched a small section of wall near the water slide.

Firefighters examined the wall and its electrical outlet and determined it was safe to allow people to re-enter the building.

The evacuation lasted less than 15 minutes, and no injuries were reported.

The fan was destroyed and damage to the building was cosmetic.

No cost estimate was available for the fan or repairs to the wall.

Last modified: May 12. 2014 8:10PM
Reader Comments
Local Business
Friends to Follow

To register a complaint about a comment, email moderator@peninsuladailynews.com and refer to the article and offending comment, or click here: REPORT ABUSE.

Peninsuladailynews.com comments are subject to the Peninsuladailynews.com User Policy.

From the PDN:




All materials Copyright © 2014 Black Press Ltd./Sound Publishing Inc. • Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAssociated Press Copyright NoticeContact Us