March trial set in Port Angeles vehicular assault case
By Jeremy Schwartz
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
EYE ON OLYMPIA: Drone rules, Olympic Medical Center reimbursement measures pass both houses of Legislature
Robert Allen Spencer, 62, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to two vehicular assault charges in Clallam County Superior Court.
He is set to appear in court March 6 for a case status hearing, according to Superior Court documents.
Port Angeles police say Spencer was under the influence of alcohol when the GMC Envoy sport utility vehicle he was driving east on Marine Drive at about 7 p.m. Jan. 2 crossed the centerline and hit the driver's side of a westbound Honda Civic.
The collision injured the Honda driver, 63-year-old Thomas Hanley, and his 15-year-old son, Seamus.
Both Hanleys were taken to Olympic Medical Center with serious injuries, according to police, with the younger needing emergency abdominal surgery.
Thomas Hanley suffered a fractured sternum, police said.
The elder Hanley had been treated and discharged as of Saturday, according to hospital officials, while his son remained in stable condition as of Sunday.
Bobby Beeman, OMC spokeswoman, said Wednesday she could not release Seamus Hanley's condition because he is a minor.
She said releasing his condition last week was an error.
Spencer failed a field sobriety test at the scene of the wreck, police said, and told officers he had drunk between three and four 16-ounce beers at a nearby lounge before the collision.
Reporter Jeremy Schwartz can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5074, or at email@example.com.
Last modified: January 08. 2014 6:48PM