Winners selected for 'Tidepools' magazine (Corrected)
By Diane Urbani de la Paz
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
3rd UPDATE — Giant oil rig arrives in Port Angeles as protesters take to waters off Ediz Hook [Gallery and video]
Polar Pioneer oil rig expected to arrive in Port Angeles this morning — protesters say they'll be on hand
UPDATE: Polar Pioneer oil rig expected to arrive in Port Angeles on Friday morning; Greenpeace, Peninsula protesters say they'll be on hand
Nippon exceeds one-hour carbon monoxide limits 3 times; ORCAA says incidents did not affect air quality
PORT ANGELES — The winners have been selected for the 2013 Tidepools art, literary and music magazine.
Peninsula College's Associated Student Council and the Peninsula Daily News sponsor the magazine, which is open to professional and amateur poets, prose writers, musicians, photographers and other visual artists who live on the North Olympic Peninsula.
This 49th edition of Tidepools will be available later this spring, and a reading in celebration of it is set for 12:35 p.m. June 5 at Maier Hall on the Peninsula College campus, 1502 E. Lauridsen Blvd.
The first-place winners of the adult categories receive $100 prizes; the top entries in the youth categories win $25.
Second- and third-place winners are guaranteed publication in the magazine, and all winners receive free copies.
The winners are chosen through a blind judging process by Peninsula College and PDN staff.
Here are the categories and winners.
-- Adult Prose:
1. “Eats,” James Welden, Port Angeles.
2. “Letters to Jenny,” Marilyn Pollock, Sequim.
3. “The Matchbox,” James Welden, Port Angeles.
-- Adult Poetry:
1. “Mianhe,” Viola Ware, Port Angeles.
2. “The Charge of the Rocking Horse Lancers,” James Welden, Port Angeles.
3. “Crusin a Hundred Miles an Hour,” Kathy Anita Gonzales, Port Angeles.
-- Adult Fine Art:
1. “Theater Drapes,” Pamela Dick, Sequim.
2. “Aurora Borealis,” Pamela Dick, Sequim.
3. “Mystery Behind Lust,” Cherish Dahinden, Port Angeles.
-- Adult Photography:
1. “Watchers at the Shi Shi,” Robyn Johnson, Quilcene.
2. “Magical,” Angelina Reese, Sequim.
3. “Into Silence,” Angelina Reese, Sequim.
-- Adult Music:
1. “Boy Gypsy,” Kai Lavatai, Sequim.
2. “Gypsy Girl,” Howly Slim, Port Angeles.
3. “Magi Mogi,” Bob Lawrence and Marty Kaler of the duo Twisted Roots, Port Angeles.
-- Peninsula College Student Fine Art:
1. “Bird on Plum Blossom,” Kaitlyn Walter, Port Angeles.
2. “Chrysanthemum,” Kaitlyn Walter, Port Angeles.
3. “Sunset Girl,” Kaitlyn Walter, Port Angeles.
-- Peninsula College Student Photography:
1. “Ruffled Feathers,” Sarah Lindquist, Port Angeles.
2. “Lucy,” Marissa Wilson, Port Angeles.
3. “New Year's Dawn,” Aran Burke, Sequim.
-- Peninsula College Student Writing:
1. “He,” Andrew Denielsen, Sequim.
2. “Henry Takes his Mate,” Samantha Burtch, Port Angeles.
-- Youth Writing, age 6-9:
“The Abandoned Winter Field,” Maizie Tucker, Port Angeles.
-- Youth Writing, age 10-13:
“What I'll Take,” Emily Glenn, Sequim.
-- Youth Writing, age 14-17:
“As My Story Unfolds,” Gretchen Sotebeer, Port Angeles.
-- Youth Art, age 10-13:
“Stairway,” Corinne Pierson, Port Townsend.
-- Youth Art, age 14-17:
“Mystical Encounter,” Emily Harrestein, Port Townsend.
For more information about Tidepools and other Peninsula College offerings, visit www.PenCol.edu.
Features Editor Diane Urbani de la Paz can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5062, or at email@example.com.
Last modified: April 10. 2013 2:47PM