Port Angeles man pleads not guilty to attempted murder
Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News
Mario Wayne Hackney enters Clallam County Superior Court on Friday in Port Angeles.
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
3rd UPDATE — Giant oil rig arrives in Port Angeles as protesters take to waters off Ediz Hook [Gallery and video]
Polar Pioneer oil rig expected to arrive in Port Angeles this morning — protesters say they'll be on hand
UPDATE: Polar Pioneer oil rig expected to arrive in Port Angeles on Friday morning; Greenpeace, Peninsula protesters say they'll be on hand
Nippon exceeds one-hour carbon monoxide limits 3 times; ORCAA says incidents did not affect air quality
Mario Wayne Hackney, 45, who was on the lam for about a month before finally being caught last week, sat quietly in a Clallam County Superior Court courtroom Friday afternoon while his public defender entered a plea of not guilty for both charges.
The charges stem from Hackney allegedly firing a shotgun at a man last month.
Hackney's jury trial, expected to last four to five days, was set for Dec. 17, with a status hearing set for Nov. 16 at 1:30 p.m. in Clallam Superior Court.
Hackney, who is being held in the Clallam County jail on a $1 million bond, allegedly fired the shotgun Sept. 20 outside a home in the 200 block of Cameron Road in west Port Angeles.
The shotgun blast sprayed the side of a pickup truck as the man tried to escape. He called 9-1-1 from a nearby truck-repair shop.
The man was not injured by the gun blast but did fall while fleeing, injuring himself, authorities said.
The shooting led to a four-week manhunt for Hackney that culminated with multiple law enforcement agencies cornering Hackney on Oct. 18 at the home where the shooting originally occurred.
Law enforcement officers took Hackney into custody without incident after a 10-hour standoff at the home.
Last modified: October 27. 2012 5:43PM